The "Task added to project" rule trigger is activating before the task has been “committed”

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
I’m noticing this bug in ALL views. The “Task added to project” rule trigger is activating before the task has been “committed”, or anything added to it. This is a problem because if I begin making a new task using the + button (screenshot 1) and make a task and start writing my task name, and trying to add details, I’m interrupted by my rule activating mid-task creation and it sends the task off to a different section, where it’s not ‘focused’ on anymore, and takes me a while to find it again. If I DO enter my details quickly and hit enter, creating my task, Asana defaults to another blank task being in focus, which if I wait too long to take the focus off, my rule also sends this blank task off to the different section. This is causing there to be lots of blank tasks that were never intended to be created.
Steps to reproduce:
Set a rule to have “Task added to project” as the trigger, with “move to section” as an action. Then once the rule is active, click the + button either below a column in “Board” view, or at the top of the column to create a new task, and either start typing details, or even just wait without anything being typed yet. The rule will activate and send the task away and out of focus before you’re done with your new task. This is happening in all views though, not just Board View
Browser version:
Microsoft Edge
Version 104.0.1293.63 (Official build) (64-bit)
Upload screenshots below:

Have you received any feedback on this @Aric ?

I experience this problem regularly, and it’s frustrating. I have stopped adding adhoc tasks to my tasks because it doesn’t actually save me time in the end!

Hi @Aric, thanks for reaching out.

I must confirm that although not desirable in some cases, this is expected behaviour at the moment and not a bug. Once a task has been created, regardless of the information added to that task, the Task added to project Rule will fire as the trigger doesn’t stipulate whether or not information has to be added to the task.

That said, I’ve gone ahead and passed your feedback onto our Product team and I recommend you create a post in the Product Feedback category so other users who are also experiencing this can add their votes. :slight_smile:

Yeah it’s making it really hard to use asana. Could you make the post there for me in feedback?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.