Switching from Boards to List View (and vice versa)

Exactly @olson.dan. In fact it makes things worse. This is a real missed opportunity for Asana to have knocked this feature out of the parkā€¦

1 Like

Did you have to do anything to get the update?
I still donā€™t see that option on my projects.
Thank you!

I didnā€™t do anything. I understand that it went live a month ago for some users. Asana is now in the process of rolling out to everyone. Iā€™m a premium user, but I am under the impression it will a freemium feature.

2 Likes

I finally got it, YAY but I have a questionā€¦for some projects, when you switch from board to list, the columns come over as sections. On others, the columns do not come over and the list is a long laundry list. Does that mean Asana is still working on our rollover or is it just not consistent yet?

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Archive a Section in a Project

Yup I agree and added this feedback: Allow to have different columns in a same project depending on which view (Board or List) you're looking at - #7 by OSTMOST

1 Like

I agree and think itā€™s more-or-less useless without this ability. I added a feature request for this: Allow to have different columns in a same project depending on which view (Board or List) you're looking at - #7 by OSTMOST

1 Like

I totally agree with @Tim_Jasper.

We have several projects which we use as calendars with hundreds of tasks in each of them. Therefore we almost exclusively use the ā€œsort by due dateā€ option in combination with the list display to manage those projects. We then used sections as separators for each month to help us to scroll quickly to the good month when looking for a specific event.

But now, sections canā€™t have due date anymoreā€¦ As a result, the ā€œsort by due dateā€ became less relevant as we canā€™t use sections as separators in combination with this option. We instead have a list of hundreds of tasks with a tiny due date displayed and at the very end of the list our sections under the label ā€œno due dateā€ā€¦ Now the only option left for us is to use tasks as separators by giving them special names, but they are a lot less impactful visually than the previous sectionsā€¦

It would be fine if the list display was working like the new board display regarding sorting options (if I sort by due date in a board, it sorts tasks in each section independently which is logical), or if sections were still tasks as it made it possible to find some hacks.

But right now it feels like sections became quite useless in the list view as they become totally irrelevant as soon as you use a sorting option (which is mandatory when you have hundreds of tasks in a project).

In the end I feel like you mostly cared for board users with this update at the expense of list users :cry:.

3 Likes

This is great! Thank you.

Is there a way to switch ā€œMy Tasksā€ into a board view?

Not directly. You can create a new Project called Kelan Tasks, and add all items assigned to you to it. Then you can take advantage of board view, spreadsheet list view, custom fields etc. To make it easy to routinely add new tasks, you can create and save an Advanced Search ā€œreportā€ called ā€œAdd to Kelan Tasksā€, with the definition of Incomplete tasks assigned to you that are not in Kelan Tasks.

Yes, this is an awkward workaround, but better than nothing IMO.

Does that require having premium?

Probably so if you do not see this capability in your own instance of Asana.

Now that switching from Board to List view (and vice versa) is live, it looks like the default organizing theme for Board is by Section in the List (or Timeline as well). For example we organize by Departments: Product, Engineering, Content Team, Administration. And its great to look at Board view by Department. But I would like to go a step further and do Board View for only one department such as Engineering and further organized on the Board by Status (e.g. working, hold, complete, etc.). Has anyone solved this?

The only way I see you accomplishing this is to create a custom field drop down that includes all your departments. Then you would add the appropriate custom field to each task. Then you would create a custom filter from the Department Custom field you just created.

thanks for this. sadly the solution is insufficient and would only allow 1d filtering ā€œinto a single fieldā€ (e.g. department, project status, etc) instead of multidimensional filtering ā€œacross more than one field.ā€

in the multi dimensional example:

• Assume the List and Timeline Sections are by Department
  • Therefore switching to Board shows default layout by department (which is pretty good so far)
  • But, what if the user wants to see all Engineering department projects, spread across a Board by Status (each column on the Board is a different Status)? there does not seem to be an automatic database-driven way of doing this, leaving the user only option to manually organize a Board with column headings and manual stacking of cards that have no ā€œrelationā€ to the underlying data

airtable solves this. i was hoping asana would have a solution.

Do you have an organization setup in Asana with Teams available?

i donā€™t think i understand your question. can you clarify?

If you have an organization-type Asana you can utilize the Team feature and organize each department as a team.

Hi everyone :wave:t3:

Iā€™m excited to announce that weā€™ve now migrated all projects to our new data model, allowing you to switch between Board and List on all your projects! :tada:
This is an incredible milestone for our team as this feature request was among the top 5 most upvoted items in the Forum! We hope youā€™re enjoying this new feature as much as we are.

Marking this thread resolved :white_check_mark: Happy monday!

10 Likes