Sum of Custom Fields with Multi-Select stopped working

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
The multi-select stopped showing the sum of a custom field, but it still shows count and the icons for other actions. It was working in one window while not working in another, until both had been refreshed, and now the count feature doesn’t work in either.

Steps to reproduce:
We have a custom numerical field called Story Points. Selecting multiple tasks should give a count as well as adding the custom field.

Browser version:
firefox 72.0.1
Upload screenshots below:

Welcome to the Forum @Ralph_M_Ambrose and thank you for reporting this.

I can confirm this is not a Bug but rather a product limitation. As it stands, it is not possible to sum a Custom Field if all parent tasks have more than 30 subtasks with numeric custom field values filled out.

With that said, I can definitely understand this can be a pain point for you. I’m escalating this pain point to our Development team and I’ll make sure to update this thread as soon as I get more information regarding this topic.

Thank you again for reaching out @Ralph_M_Ambrose. I hope you have a great week!

“…it is not possible to sum a Custom Field if all parent tasks have more than 30 subtasks with numeric custom field values filled out .”

I can see how subtasks could complicate things with this new layout. However, it doesn’t look like the number of subtasks are the issue here. I tried selecting 2 parent tasks with less than a handful of subtasks in each, and it does not sum the custom field.

I used to be able to sum up to 50 tasks. This is useful for summing tasks across multiple sections, or a group of tasks within a section. There are many cases where I do this, such as to figure out which tasks to earmark for a future sprint based on the team’s velocity. I also add my backlog of tasks to multiple projects so that I can view them organized in different ways (e.g., by feature vs. by sprint). This is a feature I’ve used for a long time, and with high frequency. Losing it is slowing me down and making my job harder.

This feature seems to be working again! I’m getting totals of my custom field - checked in two different browser tabs, two different projects, and at least one of them is the same tab where I experienced the issue before.