Subtasks generated from rule have wrong due dates

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the bug you’re experiencing:
Had one of my rules trigger overnight, and it generated incorrect due dates. I have a large reoccurring task with several dozen approval subtasks and various degrees of nesting, and they’re generated on a weekly basis with a due date relative to when a rule is triggered. The rule triggers when a due date is approaching, overnight around midnight. However, this time, a seemingly random number of approval subtasks (but not all) received a due date around 8 months in the past, instead of 30-ish days in the future like it’s supposed to.

Steps to reproduce:
Not sure. I tested by creating a similar project with similar rules, and everything triggered normally, with correct relative due dates.

Browser version:
Microsoft Edge 123.0.2420.53 (arm64)

What version of Asana are you using (Personal, Starter, Advanced, Enterprise, Enterprise+, Premium, Business or legacy Enterprise)?
Business

Upload screenshots below:

@Jackson_Lee - is it a recurring task in Asana (where there’s a little circular arrow in the due date) or are you creating these from a rule? My understanding of recurring tasks was that subtasks did not have dynamic date assignment (only the top-level task), whereas tasks (and their subtasks) created from a rule did.

Briefly describe the bug you’re experiencing: Rules that were set to assign (future) due dates based on trigger date have been assigning due dates months or years in the past. Reported by multiple team members across multiple projects.

Steps to reproduce: Varies by project, all are related to rules.

Browser version: Desktop app, Chrome

What version of Asana are you using (Personal, Starter, Advanced, Enterprise, Enterprise+, Premium, Business or legacy Enterprise)? Business

Upload screenshots below:

1 Like

For added context, the main task on which the subtasks in the screenshot above were assigned were created via script November 21, 2022, which probably has something to do with why the erroneous subtask due date is November 24, 2022. But 1) why is this only happening now, and 2) why for only two of the four subtasks?

1 Like

Welcome, @Janna_Gosling,

I’ve merged your post into an existing thread which I think reported the same issue, so please follow along there for updates.

And good detective work; maybe that will help Asana to determine the cause.

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes

Sorry, recurring was the wrong word. It is recurring in the sense that I generate these regularly, but not literally a Recurring Task as Asana defines it, with the circular arrow and such. These tasks and their subtasks (and sub-subtasks) are generated from a rule, with dynamic due dates of XX days after the rule is triggered.

1 Like

Looks exactly like what I experienced today.

1 Like

Same for me. The top level task was created in August, but the rule to create subtasks was triggered today. The subtasks are set to various dynamic due dates around 30–34 days after “trigger time,” but about half of the subtasks were created with due dates in August or September 2023. This is part of a workflow that happens every week, and yet this is the first time anything like this has happened.

Hi everyone, thanks for flagging this. I’ve escalated the report for investigation and will keep you updated. Sorry for the trouble!

2 Likes

Hi @Jackson_Lee and @Janna_Gosling, our developers are currently investigating this issue but they are having trouble replicating it. They’ve asked me to request some screenshots and IDs for the rules involved.

I’ll be reaching out to both of you via email to collect this information. However, before I do so, I just wanted to confirm if it’s okay to contact you using the email addresses associated with your Forum accounts. There’s no need to share your email addresses here publicly; simply let me know if reaching out via those emails works for you. Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, the email associated with my account is fine, thanks!

1 Like

Thank you, @Janna_Gosling! I’ve just followed up with you via email :slight_smile:

Yes, that email is fine

Thank you, @Jackson_Lee, reaching out to you too!

Remaking the rule seems to have fixed the issue. It seems like the math of the “old” rule builder has been broken somehow?

1 Like

Curious if this is just a permanent issue with the “old” rule builder?