Show project on subtask in 'My tasks' view

I completely agree with the above. We really need to automatically have the sub-task’s projects visible on the My Tasks list. Asana when is this feature going to be resolved? It seems like it has been requested for over 5 years!!
@anon70508526 Please can someone from Asana answer this question.

5 Likes

*Important note: To help us resolve your issue as quickly as possible, please ensure to fill out all the sections below. Do not share any private information such as email addresses or phone numbers - This is a public Forum! *

Subtasks are missing the parent project of the parent task!

Create a task within a project → create a subtask → assign to team member: Subtask is missing the project assignment in the “my tasks” list

Safari Version 16.1 (18614.2.9.1.12)

Asana Basic

1 Like

You tell in me your response that it’s an expected behaviour… Maybe… but it’s not a good behaviour and should be improved as soon as possible and as I am reading this thread many many users agree.

1 Like

I also +1 this request. It would make so much more sense that way. Otherwise the subtasks are basically useless.

1 Like

Is there any information from the developers about what needs to happen to add this option?

Hi @Дмитрий_Чикун,

Asana doesn’t provide a public roadmap or information about unreleased features, so no, there won’t be any such info available.

+1 to this ancient request. my org uses subtasks A LOT to collaborate and coordinate. it would be really nice if the “add to project” menu wasn’t hidden for them and that the other projects they’re multi-homed into would show. subtasks are just as important as tasks!

1 Like

Important note: To help us resolve your issue as quickly as possible, please ensure to fill out all the sections below. Do not share any private information such as email addresses or phone numbers - This is a public Forum!

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
Any Sub-Tasks assigned to yourself, when viewed in My Tasks, show that they are not part of any projects. Their parent projects or sections should be showing, so they can be sorted.

Steps to reproduce:
Assign subtask to yourself, then view in My Tasks

Browser version:
Chrome

What version of Asana are you using (Basic/Premium/Business/Enterprise)?
Basic

Upload screenshots below:

Agreed! I would love to see this feature. When I’m in My Tasks I can manually add the project, but then it adds it into the project as a whole new additional task there. So it ends up organized poorly within the project &/or duplicated. Would love to see this as an added feature! @asana

1 Like

Agreed! It is really unhelpful to not be able to see any of your tasks for the day - I’m now wondering if I should delete all subtasks and just use tasks again - I like the subtasks feature but when your day means working across a number of projects with subtasks that are similar for all projects - not having the easy view of which project the subtasks belongs to makes things quite hard.

1 Like

Hey Asana - This has been in queue for 5+ years with various promises in this forum to resolve “soon”. What’s happening? It’s a pretty basic feature for a mature platform.

1 Like

And I am another user wondering when this will be solved. Should be an easy one to make many clients happy. :wink:

OMG this is still going on? That’s so crazy. Why even offer subtasks at all if they don’t maintain their structure in the “my tasks” view?

A related problem is this: when I own the parent task, it appears in “my tasks” without its children. When I go through my tasks to add time estimates (which I do for time boxing purposes), I don’t always know when something is a parent, and I end up adding time to it (but in the project view, you’re supposed to keep the parent time estimate blank so it can sum). I want the parent time estimate sum to carry into my tasks.

+1

On a related note, we would like to be able to see the ‘section name’ tag in the "my tasks’ view. @Asana possible to implement this?

Welcome, @anon75721103,

It looks like you already posted the same thing in another thread; see my reply there, and avoid cross-posting in the future please:

Thanks,

Larry

It’s now Aug '23 and the subtasks just say “see parent” in the visibility column on my My Tasks page. This is so frustrating and inefficient. I can’t even figure out how to manually change it.

We’re in the process of trying to increase Asana adoption among a staff of nearly 200 people and I know they will find this frustrating and inefficient too. Please Asana, make the subtasks automatically list the parent project’s name and then let people manually change it if they want it to be different.

If anyone reading this can tell me how to manually change it, I’d greatly appreciate it.

1 Like

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature request.

Steps to reproduce:
Assign subtask to yourself, then view in My Tasks.

Browser version:
I use Asana in a desktop app.

Version of Asana:
Business

Running into this issue as well. When an employee assigns it to the project in his “My Task” a duplicate is viewed for me as project manager. Not acceptable.
How come a feature request with 350+ votes for 5 years continues to be ignored? What needs to happen to fix this?

I want to describe our use case, so I hope this helps solve the issue. Not sure if it was described before, going through 118 contributions to this topic is a bit too much for me.

So the use case:
I am responsible for delivering a release to our customer.
So main task in my project:
, assigned to my self as I am responsible for this.
As I need one of our employees to generate the binary release and another one to generate documentation for it, I add 2 subtasks to this task:
and assign it to EmployeeA
and assign it to EmployeeB
For both Employees if this task shows up in the “My Tasks” und “no project” and they have no clue. If they assign it in their My Tasks to the right Project, so the can manage their work properly, the task shows duplicate as top level task in the project which is unworkable for me.
I can move the duplicate again as subtask to my main task, but that erases the project assignment.

Maybe there is a completely different solution to this issue, I would appreciate any help here. Thanks.

I am commenting to draw attention to this as a new user. I am a VA and I seperate my clients out by creating each client as a ‘Team’ and then adding tasks to each client this way. As there is currently no way to sort by ‘Team’ (which I have also commented on in other forums to hopefully draw attention to something that really needs resolution and is affecting many many users) the function to sort by ‘Project’ would be helpful, however the ‘Subtask’ not showing the ‘Project’ in the ‘Project’ column is a further major let down. I am a new user and hope these two points are being considered by the Asana development team because if not, I don’t think Asana will work for me, which is unfortunate.