Search / Report on Tasks in a Team for Organizations

90% of our administrative staff (45 and growing!) are Asana users in our Business-level Organization at a school. Huge win for us! Between the users, there are multiple teams. They way we use teams is: either teams acting as a department or teams acting as a functional team. Example: Marketing department, HR department, are “Department teams”. Asana Lead Users, Executive Leadership, etc are “Functional teams”. We currently have 13 teams.

Many of our users are in multiple teams and are getting notifications on so many tasks, projects, etc across all projects in all teams in their inbox and task list. But have no way to answer the question (for example): What are the tasks that are assigned to me in all projects in the Enrollment Team? What are the tasks assigned to Supervisor Z in the all the projects in the HR team?

We would like to be able to do a search/report on “All tasks assigned to X user in Y team”
We think this can be accomplished on the front-end by adding a filter for “in Team” on the advanced search options.

Some of our users are getting overwhelmed and frustrated by the lack of ability to filter out unnecessary chatter/noise in their inbox and don’t know how to pay attention to what they need to get done in a specific team.

The only workaround I can think of is to search for tasks assigned to X user in all the projects that are in a team, but that requires that the user know the names of all those projects and there are too many to know across all the teams!

Hi @AshleyWright:wave: thank you very much for reaching out.

Let me see if I can help you here with some information:

You can easily identify the tasks that have been assigned to you in your “My Tasks
By default, the tasks in your My Tasks are organized into 4 priority sections:

• Recently Assigned
  • Today
  • Upcoming
  • Later

When a task is first assigned to you, it will appear under the Recently Assigned section. You can use then the Today, Upcoming and Later sections to help organize and prioritize your tasks.

You can find more information on how to use it in this handy article: How to Get Started With Asana My Tasks | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

You can also Access to another’s person"My Tasks" to see what tasks are assigned to them in your Workspace or Organization.

As you said, you could also use the Advanced Search to create a query for all tasks assigned to an X person in a particular team. See screenshot below:

You can save this Search as a Reports if you want to use it regularly. You can find more information about using Advanced Search as Reports in this handy article: https://asana.com/guide/team/advanced/advanced-search-reports#gl-advanced-search-reports

I hope this information helps you and your team! Of course, if you have any follow-up questions or if there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know!

Hi @Natalia! Thanks for this. I did not realize that searching under TASKS would do this because I do not have the same functionality as you have shown in this image.
When I click on TASKS in Search, there is no option for “In Teams” See attached. Is this something I can fix or is it a bug I need to put a support ticket in for?

@AshleyWright, You just need to click the Add Filter link, then in the menu choose More > In teams…

Larry

2 Likes

HI @AshleyWright! :smiley:

I leave here a screenshot of the steps that @lpb just explained.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

2 Likes

Ah @lpb @Natalia – Thank you so much for pointing me to “MORE > IN TEAMS” I had overlooked that!

3 Likes