Rules trigger for the task name

I would like to add a custom rule when a specific word is added to a - Task. For instance, if “X” added to task name/ task title - move to certain section.

10 Likes

Hi @Presantha_Pillay, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Great question! This Rule trigger is not currently available in Asana. I’ve gone ahead and moved your post to the #productfeedback category to give you and other Community members the option to up-vote this feature request! :slight_smile:

I’ll let you know if this is something our Product team implement in the future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Presantha_Pillay,

FYI this capability in available in our Flowsana integration - it has the rule condition, “If a task contains the word or phrase ____”.

2 Likes

Is this a free integration or will this be an additional cost to out current license?

It’s not free, sorry. You can see info on pricing here: Flowsana | Pricing and Billing Knowledge Base

I love the rules feature. It is intuitive to set up and makes our work in film editing as a team so much easier.

One feature I’m missing is appending text to a task name. So, when a task has been edited by one person, the task name could reflect the current state for everybody.

Currently, when our editor has finished work on a video, he or she would change a field to reflect the state, and it would then be assigned to the next person, be moved to a different category or project. However, in our “my tasks” overview, the task name is always the same and it is easy to miss what’s going on.

That’s why it would be super helpful if we could append text through a rule. For example when the video editing task for “Video 1” is finished, it could then be called “Video 1 - color” and the editor would easily realize that this video is due for color grading. Or in the next stage it would be “Video 1 - publishing”.

I’m sure this feature would be helpful for many people in many different scenarios.

Thanks in any case for a great product.
Sebastian

1 Like

Welcome to the Community Forum @SebastianW! :wave:

You are right, it’s currently not possible to automatically add text to tasks using Rules.

Alternatively, you can set up a rule to automatically update the status of a custom field to achieve something similar:

You can create the custom field “Status” and add the following drop down options: finished, color and publishing. Those fields will be available in your task.

Following your example, when the field in the video editing task for “Video 1” is set to “finished”, you can set a rule that automatically assign the task to the editor and also update the field to “color”. Then you can set up a rule that trigger when your editor makes a specific action and the field is automatically updated to “Publishing”.

I hope this helps!

Hello!

I would very much like to see Task Name as an added criteria for automation rule triggers in Asana.

Often I find myself wishing I could send automated reminders/alerts through slack to project members or myself for reminders or other work arounds, however I don’t want it to send for every task, just specific ones.

For example, I would love the trigger to be, Trigger: Task is due in 3 days AND task name is “Report Design” → Action: alert me.

This seems basic so fellow Asanians, please correct me if I’m missing something, otherwise would love to see this implemented!

6 Likes

FYI this capability is available in Flowsana. This is what that rule trigger looks like:

2 Likes

I’m trying to work around the inability to set custom fields when emailing a task to a board.

I thought I could use Rules to define field values when a task is created on the board, but there is no way to define the criteria.

I would like something like the following:

Task added to this project
If Title contains “Cadence Call”
Then
Set Customer Activity = Cadence Call

I should point out that Customer Activity is a custom field with a predefined list of values.
I’d also need to add a list of criteria, not just one.

If Title contains “Meeting”
Then
Sent Customer Activity = Meeting

etc.

Alternatively, supply the enhancement that allows you to specify key/value pairs for custom fields when emailing tasks to Asana.

Thank you.

1 Like

Is it possible to make a rule, that moves ‘Follow-up tasks’ to a certain section?
Cause I would like to add all Follow-ups - to one section :slight_smile:

Are you referring to the section in a specific project or in My tasks?

1 Like

In a project :blush:

Hi @Claudia_Zöllner, while this feature isn’t available at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

+1 for a way to include task name into automations.

3 Likes

This should be a requirement, if people are automating emails going into Asana using the email function, it makes sense to allow them to create rules that will move things based on subject (title) to their own headings in Asana.

2 Likes

*Using the email and form function

+1 This would be useful!

1 Like

I agree this would be an extremely useful feature!

1 Like

We need this.