Rules - Due Date Change triggering for first Due date Change

Hi All,

Just started using the Rules functionality. Whenever a due date is changed i am adding a default comment that “Do not change Due date henceforth”, But the issue i am facing is this comment gets added for every task which is created.

I assume the rule is considering that “No Due Date to first Due date” as a change. Ideally i would not wish to add to the first time a rule is created how do we prevent this, please suggest

Hi @Gowri_Shankar_RJ. Currently, the only option I see is to not turn on the rule (pause it) until you have due dates all in place. As you stated it triggers off that date field getting changed (populated).

Yeah, I tried but could not come up with any other alternative other than what @Bernie_Orelup suggests above.

@Bernie_Orelup that does not work out since the project is dynamic in nature and regular tasks gets added on a daily basis. I am sure this is technically a flaw which i am sure Asana till will fix it up in their next releases

1 Like

Yea I have been scratching my head endlessly to find an alternative. There’s nothing that can be done even now. Are there any updates to this? I would like my task to shifted to a new section if the date has been changed more than once. There seems to be no use of the date change feature in a dynamic set up.
Also a limited list of triggers make it inconvenient to be able to find a different alternative via the Rules section.

Hi @Ankit_Uppal, I have an idea for you on this, but could you post this question in a new thread since it’s a different request than the OP had? Will make it easier for people searching later on… Thanks!

@Phil_Seeman - Any solution for my reported issue ?

@Gowri_Shankar_RJ,

What Asana subscription level are you at? I can think of a workaround but it requires custom rules, meaning you’ll need a Business or Enterprise subscription.

We are in Business Plan

Sorry, @Gowri_Shankar_RJ, I did have an idea but when I sat down to document it, I realized the tools (the right combination of rule triggers and actions) aren’t available to build it.

Thanks @Phil_Seeman for reconfirming, i tried and faced issues hence i posted.

Idea is create task for an individual and entrust him/her to update the due date.

Whenever due date is changed an escalation or addtional actions to be made.

Prob with current set up of rules is that it triggers whenever they first change the due date from blank to a new date.

@Emily_Roman - Can you help here ?

@Gowri_Shankar_RJ,

Could you try the following?

Note that “Date Updated?” is a single-select custom field you add with a single option value of :heavy_check_mark:.

First rule

• Trigger: Due date changed and Date Updated? is cleared
  • Action: Set Date Updated? to :heavy_check_mark:

Second rule

• Trigger: Due date changed and Date Updated? is :heavy_check_mark:
  • Action: Add comment “Do not change due date again” or otherwise escalate

I didn’t test this but expect it would work as you intend.

Thanks,

Larry

Interesting one, tried it but the issue is second rule runs immediately after first rule, hence the comment is added instantly :frowning:

Shoot. Sorry, I should have seen that coming!

Thanks for trying it,

Larry