Removing Subtasks from Parent Tasks

omg thank you!

There is a less cumbersome way to make a subtask into a task:

• Make sure the subtask is assigned to you
  • Go under “My Tasks” and search for the subtask you want to move out from its parent task (note, an easy way to do this is to un-assign and then re-assign the subtask to you so it shows up at the top of your list under “My Tasks”
  • When you find it in the right pane, click on its parent task (so that in the right pane, you see the subtask in list of subtasks under its parent task)
  • Then, grab the task by the 6 dots on the left side of its title, and drag the task to the left pane, where it will become a task of its own, free from the parent tasks.
5 Likes

Thanks for this ‘solution’ but it seems to me that Asana really neglects certain parts of the UX.

3 Likes

I would not figure that out by myself. :sweat: Thanks!

Bert, I had struggled for a good half hour to sort out the riddle, but ended up spinning in circles. Thanks a lot for the hint!

TRUE!

Genius. Thank you soo much!

We can easily assign subtask to a project (tab+P). But, there should be an easy way to remove task from the parent task without dragging and dropping.

1 Like

I did all of this and even though the subtask is now in the left pane all “on its own”, when I click on the task details, it still shows me that it is a subtask of the original task I’m trying to disconnect it from in the right pane. Help!