Remove Upgrade button & Orange banner

Ok, I am officially sick of the rainbow upgrade button in the upper right corner. We are Premium subscriber and shouldn’t valuable screen real estate consumed by a large garish button. Case in point (see attached image), the title of my projects are cut-off on my Surface Pro. As a paying subscriber, this is completely unacceptable. The rainbow upgrade button needs to go away. Now.

7 Likes

I have a solution for all who want to remove the annoying Upgrade option in 60 seconds!

1. Download this Chrome Extension (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/custom-javascript-for-web/poakhlngfciodnhlhhgnaaelnpjljija)
  2. Click the cjs button and add this code: document.getElementsByClassName('TopbarContingentUpgradeLink')[0].style.display = 'none';
  3. Click Save and the page will reload without the upgrade button…

Now you don’t have to see this rainbow Upgrade button any more.

8 Likes

See my post below for a quick and easy and working fix on your issue. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really, Asana? What the hell is this? Shoo shoo fellow users?

I have a team of 15 on a paid Premium plan. Actually it’s a team of 11, but the tiered pricing structure forces me to pay for 4 empty seats. But that’s a separate gripe.

WE DID UPGRADE from free to Premium and we’re paying $1,800 (not an insignificant amount of money) a year for the features my team needs.

Yet, each one of my team members has to stare an obnoxious button that greedily prompts them to upgrade yet again. This communicates the message that their employer is cheap and conducting business on an unsuitable software version (i.e. free or trial).

We spent many months researching and testing Asana and its many close competitors, eventually chosing Asana because of the timeline feature.

The upgrade button makes me doubt our decision every time I see it (about 50 times a day).

11 Likes

My company has 40 seats on the Premium Plan. Why are we being nagged to death to upgrade to the Business Plan when we dont need it? Are customers on the Business Plan nagged to upgrade to the Enterprise Plan?

I would probably be less angry and frustrated about seeing this eye sore every single NotSoRandomAdjective day if the rational for displaying the upgrade button for paying customers was made public.

If you really want to subject paying customers to the upgrade button, you really need to consider scaling down your service plans from 3 paid plans to 1 paid plan.

10 Likes

Would it be possible to hide the Upgrade button top right, and the Portfolios button top left?

We’re pretty sure we won’t be using the next tier (our business isn’t ready to commit to the necessary habits to make it worth doing) and given that we already pay for Premium for 50 people, I feel it should be OK for us to not have to look at these up-sell UI elements anymore.

Please?

15 Likes

While your reworking that area, maybe you can get rid of that annoying [Upgrade] button. I’m already a paying subscriber and don’t need a visually jarring button staring me in the face all day. Not to mention the valuable screen real estate that it consumes.

12 Likes

Me, too. I know you are trying to upsell, but we are already paying for it. Please, remove this button (or show it one day per month or something)

3 Likes

Please remove the upgrade button. I constantly have employees asking whether we are out of date or lost our plan and need to upgrade again. I have to explain to them that although we are paying subscribers, Asana still likes to nag you about a different tier (which we are not interested in at this time).

5 Likes

Please get rid of this. If Sales won an argument with Engineering, the wrong side won. I am positive I’d be able to figure out how to upgrade if and when I decide to without the button being there every day for a week. It’s really distracting. It made me very sorry that I clicked on an upgrade page to check out the pricing.

5 Likes

Agreed, these changes are terrible. Just sent the below to support:

"Just wanted to formally say that we’ve been really happy using Asana on the premium plan over the last few years, but some of the recent UI/UX changes have been really disappointing.

I little while back a big purple “Upgrade” button appeared in the top-right of the interface. We don’t want or need to upgrade, but have this staring at us every day with no ability to remove it. Then more recently “Portfolios” has appeared in the left-hand nav, again not something we need or want, but it’s now permanently in our navigation menu.

Forcing loyal paying customers to have to actively avoid an increasing number of additional paid upgrade options that are now cluttering the product interface is both an insane product decision, and a disappointing company decision.

Might be worth feeding this back, we’re now actively looking to move."

9 Likes

I don’t mind top-banner updates. I don’t mind email updates. But taking up valuable space in my project management system for buttons and screens that I don’t have access to? Come on Asana, you know better than this…

If I was a free user, I would get it. I would expect to be upsold. But I’m NOT. I’m a premium user. I expect a premium experience. I ALREADY paid for the Asana features that I want. Show me banners (that disappear…) and email me about new features all you want, I’m happy to learn about them and cheer for Asana’s improvements.

But don’t take up permanent valuable real estate in MY Asana project management tool. BaseCamp doesn’t do that, AirTable doesn’t do that, and many others. Once I start paying for Asana, I expect to see what I pay for, not things that I don’t pay for pushing down access to the projects and features that I access and use every day.

Come on Asana, what’s happened to you? You never would have done this a few years ago.

8 Likes

This is a really good point. I assumed that my team was on the free plan because I was seeing this upsell. Come to find out that we’re on the premium plan as well and still being sold into features that we’re not “allowed” to have in spite of the fact that we’re paying users.

2 Likes

Is there a way to remove the “Forms” from a project’s navigation bar, or at least rearrange the nav bar so that it’s in “More…” and we can have “Files” or “Conversations” back in the main nav? It’s really frustrating having a Business feature that requires upgrading in a prime retail space for navigation, especially when our finance department won’t allow us to upgrade.

In addition, the newly added “Portfolios” feature in the sidebar presents a similar problem. I love most of Asana, so am crossing my fingers that this isn’t a permanent marketing strategy that is ultimately an inconvenience for already-paying users and may push our company to another project management platform…

TIA for any input!

2 Likes

Hi @J-Niv and thanks for writing in!

As it stands, there is no option to remove the Form tab from Project or the Portfolio tab within you sidebar. Other people have shared the same feedback, and while I can’t promise these options will be removed, our team will definitely consider it for future updates. In the meantime, i’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing thread we have on this topic to gather all feedback in one place. If you haven’t done so already, I would encourage you to click on the “Vote” button at the top left corner of this thread!

1 Like

When you think of how often you access project features like Conversation and Files during the day, multiplied by how many team members there are in your organization, the inconvenience really adds up! These tactics are meant to be obstructive to the point that people give in and upgrade our of frustration. It’s a dark pattern, and is eroding my confidence in Asana’s path forward.

4 Likes

Our small team upgraded and is currently subscribed as premium as we have determined those are the only features we need right now. The interface currently has two buttons, portfolios and upgrade, that are permanently plastered on the interface. When clicked they both link to screens trying to get us to upsell us to business plans which are double the price of what we actually need. Here is a screenshot for reference:

I find it really tacky that these are essentially permanent in house ads for users who are already paying a decent amount of money. I get it for free users, but we’ve already selected the plan that fits us and we don’t need the business features. So now we’re setup with extra clutter on the interface for something we don’t need. Is there some way to disable this?

3 Likes

Hi @mcfarljw and welcome to the Community Forum!

I’m sorry to hear about the difficulty with this. I can understand how unwelcome they can be in your case. Unfortunately there is currently no option to remove the Portfolio tab or the Upgrade Button.

Other users have shared the same feedback in the Forum so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to gather all feedback in one place. I hope that is OK. If you haven’t yet, I would recommend to add your vote to it.

And while I can’t promise these options will be removed, our team will definitely consider it for future updates.

Brilliant Ryan! I learned something new today. And it work for the Portfolios over in the left sidebar as well.

I know they’re both coming back eventually…but it FEELS GOOD to have even this level of control.