Remove Upgrade button & Orange banner

This morning Asana had another blue banner nagging me to upgrade. Feels like the third or fourth time this month. So I put “Asana nagware” into Google and found this thread.

We have over 300 users on the premium plan. We spend over $35,000 a year on Asana.

I’m pretty good at being stoic, but the obnoxious “Upgrade” button is an INSULT which upsets me daily, even though I “mindfully” try to be “equanimous” about it, as Asana’s values would have it.

The nagging has inspired us to move business processes over to G Suite, where for around half the price per user we get an amazing amount of value, and ZERO nagging.

Over the last months we have moved around 50 users off Asana. I think if we are smart about it we can remove another 200 before our annual subs come due.

I used to be an evangelist for Asana - no longer.

Asana should be about the CUSTOMER. Your mission is to help all teams work together “effortlessly”.

What does it cost when 300+ users read about features that we are not going to buy? I promise you if this continues we will end up cancelling our Asana subscription altogether.

Please save us the daily effort of ignoring that stupid button and weekly effort of reading your spam.

Just give us the option of unsubscribing the organisation from it.

11 Likes

On my main menu is this fun thing…

03%20PM

I.E. PORTFOLIOS—something I cannot use based on my company’s subscription type. Then why is it there?

My visual space + attention are sacred, esp. at work where time is money, friend. I do NOT appreciate such premium space being taken up by something I can’t even use—AS AN AD.

I’ve felt this way since it first arrived on my menu, and I’m resenting it more and more.

At first I was excited! I thought these were the long-awaited overview features I’d been waiting for. I was extremely disappointed to find I had no access to these features, despite being a “PREMIUM” user. As it continued to be on my menu, seeing it started to piss me off. Even more when I log in every day to find it’s been “Updated!”—continually drawing my valuable, difficult-to-magage-in-the-first-place attention (ADHD tyvm) and taking up more space.

If I can’t use it, I don’t want to see it!

Asana already has an attention problem. For example, looking at the My Tasks page is a paralysing act (LITERALLY, I GET PANIC ATTACKS) due to 1) the sheer amount of tasks one can see as a result of a full team using Asana and 2) very little customizability or organization available for the My Tasks page (a suggestion for improvements to this is another, much more optimistic, feedback post I’ve been drafting—but I’m clearly more motivated to write this one because I’m extremely cross about the Portfolio/Workload feature bait-and-switch). I’ve had to make my own workarounds to make Asana funcitonal for me, such as making special focus projects that I have to manually add tasks to (a pain which has kept me from using my workaround consistently) but ultimately have more control over.

To add insult to injury, Portfolios are a core project management feature Asana has always been lacking in my book (at least for paid users). Asana is an overwhleming project management tool because it’s SO in the weeds (see above paragraph). There are very few—and minimally functional—overview features available even to my team to actually manage projectS (plural). Without them, it’s effectively a suped up to-do list.

Granted, the gant charts were a REALLY nice add for flow—but that still doesn’t give me an informed overview of my projects. The Dashboard doesn’t count—it’s a useless card version of my favorites list on the left menu. Looks pretty, but pretty useless. There is no useful overview information given for Dashboard projects.

This lack of this KEY project management function (multi-project overview) has resulted in difficulty using Asana, and I’ve had to find ways to adapt. Namely by turning my projects into tasks, which is a difficult way to manage large projects. All this extra work just makes me avoid using Asana. I already have enough on my plate.

I do like Asana to a degree—but these limitations make it much less effective as a PM tool, and it’s ridiculous project overviews are a high-tier feature. I don’t need all the other bells and whistles of the Business tier, I need an affordable, easy-to-use (i.e. doesn’t take a ton of work to maintain) effective (i.e not overwhelming) PM tool for my team.

3 Likes

I had a similar issue when I had temporarily downgraded our Asana account from premium to free. I reached out to Asana support and they didn’t seem to care. I understand Asana wanting to ensure customers understand that they are about to be downgraded and lose features, but honestly that banner just pushed me away. Asana used to use top banner notifications that could be removed via the X in the right corner of the top banner. I LOVED those! I liked that those banners in Asana created the perfect balance of keeping their customers informed while maintaining an interruption/distraction-free experience. That prior focus of theirs (they actually used to talk about their distraction-free approach) is clearly gone.

I downgraded temporarily after needing to decrease my business’s budget temporarily following a year of Cancer treatment that took me away from operating/growing my company full time. It was frustrating for me to have the daily reminder of how much my business had suffered due to Cancer with a giant orange banner saying (obviously only in my head) “hey the business you founded and grew from the ground up can’t even afford premium anymore because you got stage III Cancer while pregnant! How much does that suck?!”. Clearly my example is very melodramatic and unusual, but that doesn’t take away from its effects. I still remember it because I downgraded a lot of tools back then, and Asana was the ONLY one that did the obnoxious banner that couldn’t be removed for a prolonged period.

2 Likes

Hi @WideSmiler,

I’m really sorry for the trouble you experienced with Asana while you were personally going through a difficult time.

The banner you’re referring to does disappear 7 days after your downgrade, but there is unfortunately no option to hide or dismiss it in the meantime.

I’ve gone ahead and escalated a report to our Product Team including your feedback. While I can’t promise anything at that stage, I’m hoping to spark the discussion internally so we can improve our user experience in this specific case. I’ll make sure to post an update here as soon as I have some news internally; in the meantime, if there is anything else I can help with, please let me know.

Have a great Monday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :heart_eyes:

We have 5 users on PAID Premium and we too have this obnoxious Upgrade button distracting us all day everyday. The button does not go away and has been there for months now.
We have contacted support and usual response in that it can’t be turned off and our feedback will be passed on… (to where actually I wonder…). I used to recommend Asana to others and I know we’ve been responsible for multiple teams signing up over the past couple of years.

This is not how you treat paying customers - ie. “thanks for the money, but now we’re going to continually bug you for more as the product we sold you isn’t good enough…”.

This really irks me - unfortunately enough to start considering switching elsewhere.
Please listen to your users and paying customers on this.
Please help.

4 Likes

:pray:

+1 on this, the fact that paid users can’t hide features that aren’t included in their paid tier is very frustrating, as is the permanent upgrade button. How many people have to complain about these issues before Asana will actually do anything about it? We’re new to Asana but the fact that they’ve been ignoring this complaint from paid customers for years doesn’t make me feel good about this decision.

3 Likes

I would love to use forms but the Asana branding on everything is off-putting. It’s not even subtle. I understand that you guys are trying to get more users but using paying customers’ forms to do it is not a good look. Please remove your branding from forms.

3 Likes

I downgraded my plan because I didn’t have enough clients to support a paid plan. But I’m totally embarrassed by the fact that a new client who is a collaborator (not a team member) see this message “your asana organization is no longer premium.” It is my opinion that this message should only be visible to administrators and maybe team members but definitely NOT to collaborators.

It’s private billing info being shared with people outside the team. And, it’s in poor taste. It appears to be a shaming method to get administrators to upgrade. This has definitely put a poor taste in my mouth when it comes to Asana.

1 Like

While I agree with you that this information should really only appear to admin/or when triggered by trying to access a feature locked behind premium, I don’t think they are attempting to “shame” people. If you are using a service for free, you have to expect some form of advertising. They are a company and they need to make money. Every free service I have ever used has had some form of “upgrade for more features” permabanner. Asana’s is pretty unobtrusive from my experience prior to upgrading to business, but YMMV. I doubt other platforms are free of the same upsell techniques.

It’s also not sharing private billing info. Is the collaborator getting your credit card information? No. Generally speaking, data protection laws cover PII and account status in this case does not qualify. I think understanding intent is important here, and their goal is to be a profitable company that provides a valuable service. Sharing billing information would be illegal. Proper word selection is important here.

But, I will second the suggestion of not having that notification show up to non-admin/outside of triggered events.

I understand being in business. Using the phrase “is no longer premium” has a more derogatory connotation than if the phrase ‘free plan’ had been used.

Thanks for suggesting to change the visibility.

1 Like

I truly don’t know why my issue was merged with this one. I’m addressing branding as a paid customer, not upgrade notices. Asana is making things more and more challenging to deal with.

3 Likes

really annoying, for those who pay there must not be these banners and visible items

Hi All,

I recommend using the ‘User JavaScript and CSS’ extension for Google Chrome, which you can download from the Chrome webstore here User JavaScript and CSS - Chrome Web Store.

Click ‘Add rules for this page’ and, if you’re a free user (I recently downgraded) add the CSS snippet below:

.TopbarContingentUpgradeButton-button:not(.Button--disabled){
	display:none;
}

Once done, you can continue using Asana as usual but you’ll never see the Upgrade button. The same process should work for all over tiers of accounts, though you may need to tweak the CSS.

Should take about 30 seconds.

Best
Stuart

1 Like

Hello

I understand why you show new features in Asana that are not available on my package but would love to be able to switch this off for users, don’t mind as admin seeing it but as it is already so hard to train people and accept change.

A lot of time they already so overwhelmed with all the updates and changes to all their cloud services showing them a button they will never use just make my job of getting the users to uses the features that are available to them.

i.e Portfolio’s, Forms and Upgrade Button

2 Likes

I must agree. Because Asana is built on a team subscription basis, it doesn’t make sense to advertise features to users who have no buying power. If Asana offered single seat subscriptions, it would make sense to push these to individual users.
Perhaps Asana is banking on the idea that if enough employees request upgrades to their admins companies will, but I would hope that’s not their mindset.

1 Like

Please remove your ads from forms.

2 Likes

There are existing threads on the topic :+1: Probably Remove Upgrade button & Orange banner - #53 by Milan_Mashanovitch

1 Like

Isn’t that the thread you just posted in…?