Pulling in custom fields from Asana tasks, to automated emails zaps via Zapier

Hi Asana Community,

I am struggling with my Zapier integration pulling the content of fields from my Asana task to send custom emails. Each Asana task is a separate employee onboarding (diff country, employer, employee etc…)

If I add the employee name and email address to my tasks, as text fields, my zap can’t seem to pick the content of those fields up to use as part of the integration.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

That is really surprising as I am using this exact method. What’s your trigger? Does the app you use as an example in the trigger has a value for those fields?

I am having the same issue. I am using the Updated Tag trigger and Zapier does not pick up my custom fields

That could happen if you incorrectly mapped the field. Does your test task used when setting up the trigger had a value? Be careful because Zapier sees many different “data fields” for a given custom field, you have to pick the one that has the value from the test task.

Help!

How do I have Zapier pull an email address from a custom field in Asana??

I want to create a Zap that sends an email when a certain tag is used in Asana to an email address entered in a custom field in the task.

Thank you for any help!!

Hi @Stephane_Poitras and welcome to the forum,

I’ll let @Bastien_Siebman give you this info on how to do it in Zapier as he’s done it and should have the solution for you. I did want to mention that you can also do it more easily (IMHO) using a rule via our Flowsana integration. You can see how to do that here.

@Stephane_Poitras when creating a zap, you have a trigger, and Zapier will force you to test the trigger, that will give you a task with data (and all its custom fields) and then within actions you can use those fields. Is it clearer?

Got it, thank you!

That was not much clearer, and the suggestion did not work. When creating a zap to have a new task send an email, the fields that are offered do not contain easy to find custom fields with the data you are looking for.

For instance, in this case. I have a field that is for an email address. I am using this trigger via a form submission. They enter their email and it maps to an email field I created.

However, it’s very hard to find on the form and even when I think I find it and the data from the test record looks correct, the zap does not work.

This should be a basic offering from Asana - I know confirmation emails are magically sent without option for customization, but the metadata brought into the fields choices is impossible to figure out.

Offering screenshots or a step-by-step would be helpful.

I have done it in the past, that’s definitely possible, you might not be mapping to the right fields in Zapier (I know that for a given custom fields, the Zapier object has a lot of different fields like the name, the id, the value…)

Everyone has a different idea on what a “basic” project management solution should do.

My original point still stands - this is a forum, questions are posed, and answers are offered. Your responses are just telling me that you’ve done it and that it’s easy, but you are not offering actual solutions, answers, or screenshots.

And yes, everyone has a different idea about everything. This, however, is something offered on EVERY other free. generic, form platform. So yes, it’s a basic offering that Asana should offer.

It might not have been clear, but most questions are answered first by a team of volunteers. Some of us spend several hours a week helping the community for free. I would be more than happy to comment on screenshots you share for example. Saying “the zap does not work” is not much to play with, and there could be dozens of reasons. Ideally I could record myself creating a working zap, but I don’t have time to go to such lengths every time. But I feel like we are making progress, and are almost there, I will gladly record myself explaining :slight_smile: