Project Roles & Automation

I am trying to see if the following is possible.

1. Create a role within a project called “Support”
  2. Assign user to that projects role
  3. Whenever Task #1 is completed, I want Task #2 to be assigned to whoever is assigned to the “Support” role within that project.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

1 Like

Hi @Nathan_Hayes, Project roles don’t support Rules at the moment, but that sounds like a grat idea, so I’m moving your thread to the #productfeedback category to allow other folks to support and vote for this feature to be implemented. I’ll follow-up here if this is something we decide to build in the future!

3 Likes

This would be a great feature. We have over 100 people working on 40 active projects at a time and we want to create consistency on how tasks get processed and promoted across projects with one set of rules that we setup in a project template.

Being able to define rule automation based on a role would be great because we don’t want people modifying those rules over and over each project.

1 Like

Hi there, I’m looking for a way to set up rules in my templates and one rule that would be great is to assign a Role (according to the ‘overview’ tab) rather than a user. This way my team doesn’t need to set up custom assignment roles every time we use a template.

The same concept could go for adding collaborators to tasks based on Role.

Hi @anon6996336, thanks for reaching out!

Project roles are not currently supported by Rules so it would not be possible to assign tasks automatically based on Role.

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love to see this as a feature.

We use a RAPID framework (similar to RACI). It would be really helpful to assign the RAPID roles to the people on a project and have an automation setup where Asana can have the next person review, based on the role they’re assigned.

Hi there!

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I’m happy to share we’re rolling out Variable Assignees in Templates!

With Variable Assignees in Templates, you’ll be able to create a project role in your template and assign tasks to a project role, giving your team guidance when they use the template.

How does it work?
To add a project role in templates, convert a project into a template/edit an existing template and you’ll see “Project roles” in the left hand side bar to add different project roles.

When you’re ready to kick off your project, you’ll be prompted to set an assignee for each project role

When?
This feature has already begun rolling out in stages!

2 Likes

Love the feature. What I currently miss from its implementation is multi-edit support which would render converting or modifying existing templates much less of a click chore.

Would I open a new feature request for this ?

Really excited about this new feature! However I noticed that there’s no way to assign users to the project roles in instances where projects are created with a template from a task. This is how our workflow is set up currently. Is there going to be any feature updates that would make this possible?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 22 days. New replies are no longer allowed.