Project number

On our company as many others I know use project number as the main way to identify them.
This make it easier and shorter on each communication. The name is just a description.
Following this, I would like to see a project number that connects all the items in it.
Here is the problem now, if you go to calendar on the company team it is impossible to know from which project is the task unless you go in. Yes you have colors but is not enough. If you use a project number, this could be in from of the task and it would not take too much space on the text off the task and it will be a huge improvement. On the same direction if you have a sub-task it is worst to follow up, you can see it on the company calendar but you do not even see it on the calendar off the project. This is a must fix.

5 Likes

We were really surprised this wasn’t already a feature at the project level. It is common practice to have a project number. This can be used when exporting reports from Asana to tie information in other systems as well.

3 Likes

we are looking at upgrading our systems and we all love Asana except for this one MAJOR missing feature - project numbers!!! This is such a no-brainer and an essential component. Unfortunately we’ll have to look elsewhere if this feature is not either imminent or in the pipeline.

3 Likes

Is there any chance Asana is working on adding project numbers? Sure would be nice if you are. Can you share any reasoning for not offering this feature, or a status if it is in the works?

3 Likes

Unfortunately not - Asana’s policy is not to comment on unreleased features (see **Read me first** How you can give feedback and what we do next for more on why they don’t share a roadmap or make public comments).

2 Likes

My team is also looking for how to create job #'s and track people’s time per project. Any further development here?

2 Likes

Our Marketing org adopted Asana recently. My in-house creative agency would like to move from Workamajig to Asana because we work closely with the Marketing team. BUT we need a unique project number for every project we sign in (and the ability to track time per project which I learned is at least possible through third-party plugins). We were shocked to see project numbers is not a standard feature. Is this going to be a feature in the future?

1 Like

I am going to mirror what many on this forum have already stated. We are a creative services group within a larger org, Several other IT and marketing groups within our company are using Asana, so we are trying to maintain consistency. However, unlike those department, We need Job Name and Numbering for our file management association. It would be best if this was configurable. Currently, the reference number appended to URL is 16 numeric digits long, (a nightmare for file naming) and needs to be manually cut and pasted. An unnecessary amount of time is wasted on what should be a very simple automated task.
In an ideal world, we would be able to control the format such as starting number and at least 2x appended variables “123456_MediaVar_ShortJobNameVar” and associate it at each task creation.

4 Likes

Adding another vote here for auto-generated, configurable, unique project numbers! I lead a data management team at a fine arts museum, and we rely heavily on being able to use consistent tracking across Asana and our file folders. Please prioritize this feature in your roadmap.

3 Likes

Another vote from me as well. I love Asana, but this is a huge miss on their part. Almost any large organization would need this feature. We would also need to customize it to not just a number but to a code that indicates the team that worked on it, and calendar year. We have over 10,000 employees and many teams. We’re spending a lot of time trying to cobble together a solution using zapier, but that’s a really janky way to fix a missing feature that is critical to any complex organization’s workflow.

4 Likes

An upvote for project numbers. A must have across any org.

4 Likes

+1
Iterating ticket numbers is crucial for a lot of workflows that don’t live 100% in project management. We create media files and need to have a way to correlate those file names to a project, which requires a unique ID. It’s not feasible to create these manually and Asana should absolutely be making them for us, preferably sharing a pool of numbers between specified teams.

2 Likes

I am surprised this is still not a feature. I am a graphic designer and this is an industry standard. I started working at a company that has been using the free edition of Asana. We would love to upgrade our team if it meant we could have auto-generated project numbers, but if it is not being worked on, we will need to look into another service like Workfront or monday.com.

1 Like

Is this on the roadmap at all? We’re considering moving to monday.com because of the missing job number feature. Please provide an update on this.

How is a project number integration not a “thing” yet, Asana? We’ve recently moved all work to you but this is a huge miss. Please rectify asap.

1 Like

Mirroring the sentiment from all of these comments, we have just moved to Enterprise and this is a common request we are seeing as onboard our teams. Hopefully something that is implemented asap!

Did anything happen with this or does anyone know of a plugin for Asana that will add project numbers? When you’re working with hundreds of jobs with hundreds of tasks - this is a mess

+1 Unique project codes are a must. Please consider adding this feature. Project Codes help enormously.

2 Likes

@Margie_Preston my company also uses Jir, and it does generate unique job numbers, so I use the Jira integration in Asana along with a rule to automatically create a job number for new tasks. It works well enough.

Is there any update on job number? I have been asked to add this in by Jan 2024

1 Like