Product-level attributes for reporting

We plan to use Asana to track our team’s projects. One of the things we’d like to be able to do is to report/sort/filter by a number of attributes of projects. For example, a project can have a “Total Budget” or can be in a Country (or more than 1!) or be aligned with a “Strategic Objective.” We probably have 5-10 of these we’d like to be able to associate with each project. I would love to hear from a user who also has a number of Project-level attributes. Do you use Portfolio Custom Fields? (seems like only a limited number visible in dashboard plus no multi-select) Do you use a workaround like having “statistical” tasks that are the only Tasks that use a custom field? (or even having a general “Custom#” field that can be used for various statistical tasks) Do you use Tags? Something else? Thanks in advance!

Hello @Bob_Imberman, welcome to the Asana Forum,
I usually use dashboard and universal reporting module. More information:

You can set this dashboard per project or gather few projects together.

I hope it helps.

1 Like

Using an Asana project, containing Asana tasks, each task representing a project. That gives you the full capabilities, you can add custom fields, sort, filter, have reporting…

1 Like

Ahh, that sounds interesting and I had not thought of that. Thank you, @Bastien_Siebman. So basically any project-level attribute I want can become a custom field that’s basically only used in this “Project of Projects,” right? It would look a bit like I had created a separate spreadsheet to track projects, except it would have the benefit of being in Asana. So I can see the upside. I imagine downsides include (a) project managers need to go to this separate project to update anything that changes, e.g., if you use it for some project metric, (b) potential to get out of sync with any reporting you do against the raw projects and (c) the data can be sparse if different types of projects need different project-level attributes.

I’d love to hear more thoughts on this, from @Bastien_Siebman or anyone else, along with other workaround ideas.

Thanks again!

Regarding a)b) and c) yes indeed you are correct.

1 Like

@Bob_Imberman, I have resources for this for clients (so does @Bastien_Siebman, I’m sure). Have a look at:

for an overview.

Larry

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.