Possibility to un-assign tasks with a keyboard shortcut

Hi guys,

Whenever I’m processing incoming tasks from ‘My Tasks’ list, I process many tasks by adding them to the relevant project and then unassigning the task from myself to clear up ‘My Tasks’ again.

But while processing I cannot seem to find a way to use -just- keyboard shortcuts to unassign tasks from myself.

Everything else works super efficiently with shortcuts (selecting tasks, adding to project, adding relevant tags, etc) but when I type [tab+A], I cannot backspace to unassign from myself (anymore). This only seems to be possible by clicking the X manually with use of mouse/ trackpad. This is killing my speed and efficiency in processing incoming tasks.

I know I can use the multi-select X approach, but it’s still an action that requires a mouse or trackpad, so still suboptimal. Every grab for a mouse, decreases speed and efficiency so I hope there’s a fix for this!

Learned this is not on your roadmap yet, would love to see it picked up!

Cheers,
Anne Nynke

From thread: https://forum.asana.com/c/productfeedback/l/latest?order=votes

Thank you for taking time to create this thread @AnneNynke! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Natalia Is there any update on this? Keep running into this on a daily basis.

It was possible to unassign tasks with tab-a + backspace before multi-assign feature was added, so, as it was possible before, it seems like it shouldn’t be hard to fix. you recon someone could have a look? :pray: highly appreciated.

Hi @AnneNynke :wave:

I don’t have any update to share at the moment but I’ll make sure to let you know here as soon as I do!

Have a great Thursday!

Me, too! Not having a keyboard to unassign a task is painful. Please add. Thank you.

1 Like

@AnneNynke What is the “multi-select X approach”? Thx!

Hi Natalia,

With this I meant selecting multiple tasks and clicking the X (with mouse/ trackpad) next to the assignee to un-assign. Because of updates since this post, this is now only possible in a project, not in My Tasks.

Still no keyboard shortcut exists to un-assign afaik. It used to be possible, but not anymore.

Since it used to be possible (before the multi assign feature) it seems like it could be an easy fix :woman_shrugging:

@Marie @Natalia any update on this?

Cheers,
Anne

1 Like

Any update on this? I agree that since the My Task update, it is quite cumbersome to unassign tasks from myself.

Unfortunately I haven’t seen the unassign feature make a comeback since I first posted this issue in 2019. HOWEVER, I found a 3-step workaround that works quite well for me.

:one: Create an UNASSIGN project
:two: add 1 rule to this project:

:three: in MyTasks, select the tasks you want to unassign and use cmd-p + enter to add these tasks to the unassign project and see the magic happen!

It still takes more manual steps than the tab-x shortcut we used to have. But at least it’s possible to un-assign multiple tasks using a shortcut!

Hope this helps.