Parent Task Custom Field; setting rules to change Custom Field when Subtasks are completed

We are setting up a team for an upcoming major venture that will have around 100 Parent Tasks that we need to be able to track the progress of. The tasks will all have the EXACT same set of subtasks, and we really need a Custom Field in the parent task to automatically change to a specific selection when a certain Subtask is filled out.

In our case, it’s pretty simple. The Custom Fields will have the same title as the Subtasks. When the subtask “Step 1” is marked complete, we need the Custom Field to automatically change to say “Step 2” so that we can see at a glance where all 100 of these Parent Tasks are at.

I don’t see a way to pull this off using Rules, and if it’s in Flowsana, I’ve overlooked it.

I’m going to have 10 different people (of varying degrees of computer literacy) using these tasks, so I need the solution to be as simple and automated as possible. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I’m afraid neither Asana nor Flowsana have the ability to update a parent task based on something changing in one of its subtasks.

@Matt5 Yeah we are in the same situation for a few tasks. Atm we either ensure the person completing the subtask updates the custom field or we multi-home the subtask in the project also so
rules works (however your specific case is tricky as the update in the main task depends on specific things done on a subtask)

Here is an existing feedback request thread I recommend upvoting.

Another way would be creating a separate team, a template project where you list all the tasks (that you would have otherwise added as subtask), the stages (steps), set up dependencies and the rules you need.

Then create separate projects for all instances and use portfolio to have an overview. Not sure if that might be overdoing things if you only have a few tasks, however automating things would work then.