Option to hide weekends in timeline

We just paid for the upgrade especially to use this timeline feature and was really disappointed to find out that we can’t move around long running tasks easily because of the weekends, making this tool worse than the excel spreadsheet we were using before. How disappointing.

2 Likes

Same here, we moved from Excel to make our job with scheduling project easier, but moving tasks in the timeline is a nightmare with weekends in the middle. Thank you for considering this feature.

2 Likes

This feature is very needful especially when the making timelines templates… it is very difficult to plan in the weekends too

Upvoting!! Please please!

you have got to be kidding me. this thread is from 2018 and still no response from asana. what a joke, this is actually pathetic

Asana, Please…
A PM Shouldn’t have to be busy moving tasks around manually because of weekends…

1 Like

Upvoting. PLEASE!!

Hi Asana team! I understand that timelines are automatically extended when a task is moved to cover a weekend, and do not automatically reduce back to the original duration when shifted again. I also understand this is the way the format is intended to work (shared links below to closed threads discussing this). Unfortunately, this adds a ton of work, as many folks have mentioned above.

I can see hiding weekends as a fantastic solution for this. If we do not include weekends, timelines do not auto extend or have a need to be reduced.

Alternately, is there an option to set the duration as a set number of business days rather than a date range? Then those business days never change, and skip weekends when need be.

Edited to add: this feature is an option in services like smartsheet & I believe are handled by allowing the user to choose business days or calendar days as their record format. Thank you!

This would be a huge benefit both from my personal use case and based on the comments I see above. Thank you!

Links to the discussions referenced above:

2 Likes

@anon38157793 +1!

1 Like

+1 for this request. I find the product to be unusable due to this issue. It seems the issue is everything is date based vs estimate based. E.g. 1/1/2021 - 1/3/2021 vs 3 days duration.

What I expect when I setup my project plan…

• Set task duration in days (or hours)
  • Set dependencies such as Finish-to-Start or Start-to-Finish +/- days
  • Moving a task with a dependency maintains the tasks estimated days and the duration between dependencies I’ve set (both upstream and downstream)
5 Likes

Ridiculous this isn’t a feature! Adding my +1

I don’t understand why this isn’t implemented yet?
This topic started in march 2018, more than 3 years ago…
Why is this so hard to change?

2 Likes

2021 and still not implemented, this feature would be a game changer for us.

1 Like

+1 we really need this feature!

1 Like

A vote from me, too!

1 Like

Huge huge missing feature!

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1 for me too. This thread has been going for nearly 4 years and still no resolution…

4 Likes

The main issue for me is how weekends affect scheduling. If I move a 3 day task from starting on a Monday to starting on a Thursday, it should expand to go Thu-Mon, not assume I’m going to have someone going Thu-Sat. Likewise, if I move a Thu-Mon task to start on a Mon, it should adjust to be Mon-Wed.

This would probably be better implemented with respect to “working days” rather than weekends specifically, as it would then allow the possibility of defining things like org- or team- wide “off” days, or even respecting individual users’ working schedules.

5 Likes

+1000
Why is taking so looooong to do? It’s so obvious that a task that start on Thursday and finishes on Friday, moved 1 day later, will end on Monday and not on Saturday…

4 Likes