Only apply rules to single section but not all sections within project

Hi There,
I am designing a project space with 3 sections with fixed sequence

1. <A’s todo>: task will imported from new added spreadsheet row via Zapier
  2. <B’s todo>: when A completed the task, Asana rule to move this task to B and update task as incomplete
  3. :: when B completed the task, Asana rule to move this task to Done section

my current issue is:
I manage to create rule push task from 1 to 2, but when I complete task at 2, looks like Asana will apply same rule moved this task back to <B’s todo>, and reopen the task

Anyone to shed the light on how to constraint the rule only to designated section ?

Thank you so much !
Kelvin

If you click ellipsis next to a section in project and click add rule to section, does this work?

@Kelvin_Tan1
To limit which section the rule applies to, you will need to add the section as part of the trigger, otherwise a task being completed in ANY section, will move it to <B’s todo>.

To do this you can hit the “+” above the workflow arrow (triggers section), and make sure both conditions are listed: 1) the task is in <A’s todo> section, and 2) the task is marked complete. Make sure the dropdown is set to “When all of these triggers happen”, requiring both conditions to be met.

That takes care of singling out tasks from <A’s todo> going into <B’s todo>. Then you’ll need a second rule to move <B’s todo> completed tasks to :

Conditions: 1) task is in <B’s todo> section, and 2) the task is marked complete
in this case the action should be move the task to the section.

This sample trigger acts on completed tasks from the “Pending Submission” section in my project:

1 Like

Hi Jorge,
Yes it works now ! thank you so much !

Hi Brock,
yes I tried that but didn’t work , @Jorge-wms reminded me to add a trigger “task moved to a section” and this is how this got resolved :slight_smile: