How to apply rules to multiple sections

Hello!

I’m trying to apply the same rule to several sections, as follows:

1. Real example: when a task that belongs to the section ‘Team Check in’ is marked as complete, move the task to the ‘Completed Team check-in’ section.

My issue is that when the rule for marking a task as complete is executed, Asana doesn’t know which section to move the task to; it just allocates it randomly, even though I’ve created a rule for each section to be moved to another section upon completion.

How can I establish the conditions to move tasks through the sections as initially specified?

Ps: I have the Premium license.

Thank you kindly,

Rafael

HI @Rafa_A, welcome to the forum!

It might be you have conflicting other rules in the project? Can you take a screenshot of the rules you have?

Hey Danielle,

Thank you for your reply!

Here’s what I’ve done: For each section, I created a corresponding section with a similar name, but I added ‘Completed’ at the beginning of the name to help organize and archive them for future reference. Essentially, I created the following sections:

Sections for incomplete/in-progress tasks:

1. Team Check-in
  2. Admin and P&C Update :woman_technologist:
  3. Outstanding Actions❗️
  4. Public Training Updates :new:
  5. Private Training Updates :new:
  6. Curriculum Updates :new:

Then, I established a rule within one of the sections to automatically move tasks to the following sections when they are marked as completed:

1. Completed Team Check-in - (completed tasks from section 1 will be moved here)
  2. Completed Admin & P&C Update - (completed tasks from section 2 will be moved here)
  3. Completed/Archived Actions :white_check_mark: - (completed tasks from section 3 will be moved here)
  4. Completed Public Training Updates - (completed tasks from section 4 will be moved here)
  5. Completed Private Training Updates - (completed tasks from section 5 will be moved here)
  6. Completed Curriculum Updates - (completed tasks from section 6 will be moved here)

Here’s a screenshot for the first one that I replicated for the others:

This is what i’ve done for each one:

Thank you kindly,

Rafael

HI @Rafa_A you have conflicting rules›

Everytime a task is marked as complete you have it to move to every single section so asana does not know where to put it. When a task moves to the next section it is already marked as complete so it keeps moving through the workflow.

Hey Danielle,

Yep, I know that.

However, those rules were created as I explained in my previous message. I don’t know why the rules that were created do not link to the section they came from. It really does seem like I’m creating the same thing for every section, but I didn’t. From my previous message, what do you think I could do to manage this automation?

Thank you so much!

Cheers,

Rafa

Hi @Rafa_A best thing to do is go to customise on the main project views and delete them

Hi Danielle,

I understand that I can delete tasks to avoid the ongoing issue. However, what I really want is to establish rules for each section so that when a task is completed, it gets moved to a specific section I’ve created. Is it possible to apply this rule to multiple sections? Currently, they seem to be moving randomly because the rule doesn’t specify the source section. Here’s what I’d like to achieve:

1. Team Check-in
  2. Admin and P&C Update :woman_technologist:
  3. Outstanding Actions❗️
  4. Public Training Updates :new:
  5. Private Training Updates :new:
  6. Curriculum Updates :new:

I want to create several rules to automatically move completed tasks to the following sections when they are marked as completed:

1. Completed Team Check-in - (completed tasks from section 1 will be moved here)
  2. Completed Admin & P&C Update - (completed tasks from section 2 will be moved here)
  3. Completed/Archived Actions :white_check_mark: - (completed tasks from section 3 will be moved here)
  4. Completed Public Training Updates - (completed tasks from section 4 will be moved here)
  5. Completed Private Training Updates - (completed tasks from section 5 will be moved here)
  6. Completed Curriculum Updates - (completed tasks from section 6 will be moved here)

I guess I forgot to ask the real question: Is it possible to do this with a premium license?

Cheers,

Rafael

Hi @Rafa_A I wouldn’t have the workflow like this as a completed task shouldn’t still be going though a workflow as best practice. Plus as it is complete every time it moves it will trigger even if you use a rule to incomplete the task each time.

I would have Team Check In as a section and then when team check in is complete the person who does it moves it (or changes a stage custom field to trigger the move if desired) to the Admin & P C update section but not complete the task. If you wanted to check complete - I would use subtasks under the task to show each stage.