Now rolling out to Asana users — Rules

Hi @Tim_Farr - FYI this ability is available in Flowsana’s If-Then Rules right now.

3 Likes

I’m a relative beginner at Asana. What is {CF}?

1 Like

@Harriet_Bograd, Good catch; that’s not so clear. It stands for Custom Fields, a feature of any paid Asana plan:

Larry

1 Like

Just tried it, but unfortunately for Premium users it is quite limited in functionality. It offers a whole bunch of rules based on our customer fields but 99% make no sense. Unfortunately the custom ones and the 1% that make sense are for Business only.

Very disappointing in what we get for our money, otherwise very useful feature, that will for sure save a lot of time. That is if you are on Business ofcourse…

3 posts were split to a new topic: “Move to a specific column” Rule isn’t available with old sections

Hi. Can you please clarify. Can we use the change in a custom field as a trigger?

2 Likes

@Tim_Jasper, Yes you can, as specified in the first post in this thread. For Premium, the actions for custom field changes are limited to marking complete and moving to another section/column. For Business, any available actions can be used.

Larry

2 Likes

Thanks @lpb I posted too quickly! This feature is great in view of the new board/list view switching (which I wasn’t convinced was the best implementation scenario)

Hopefully down the track we’ll be able add rules to multiple projects at the same time.

3 Likes

Wow! This was just turned on for us and we love it! I have one project in particular which is filtered by status (In Development, On Hold, Live). Some people will remember to change the status to Live, others simply complete the task, and some do both. Now, it doesn’t matter which they do, because the task will automatically go to the right section. :tada:

Best update in ages.

2 Likes

@Marie I found a bug with this. I’m trying to rule to move a completed task to a category (completed) for me. If the task is a repeating task - annual in my case - both the completed AND the new task created for next year gets moved to completed.

2 Likes

Hi @Keith_Schuster, can you please create a new thread in #tipsandtricks so we can look into this for you? Thanks!

done

Would love to see a trigger added for subtasks that could be paired with the existing [add to another project] action, for example:

Rule = When [subtask added], [add to project].

We commonly tag subtasks up to the project level to increase subtask visibility and allow subtasks to be sorted by sections or custom fields - this automation would save us a lot of time!

We currently accomplish this by creating a series of subtasks, then clicking Search > Tasks I’ve Created, then tagging the recently created tasks into the desired project. It works and is faster than opening up each subtask in a new tab and tagging it into the project, which is what I used to do.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve tried the new feature today and it looks very promising!
@Marie, is the team planning on expanding the rules feature to custom fields other than Drop-downs?
Also, we are using Harvest for time tracking. Any plans with automation rules with it in the future?

Thanks!

Would love to see a tag rule where

If this condition is met

Tag with [choose tag]

For me, it’s the biggest thing rules is missing. Having subtasks is nice but man, tags would be so useful to my company’s workflow.

3 Likes

Hi @Nate_Barrett and welcome to the forum!

If you post this request in the “Product Feedback” forum category, that will allow you and others to register a vote for it, to indicate interest to Asana.

Also FYI Flowsana’s If-Then Rules allow you to create rules with tag-based conditions (“If the XYZ tag is added to a task”, “If the XYZ tag is removed from a task”) and tag-based actions (“Then add tag XYZ to a task”).

2 Likes

Hi @Ju2 and thanks for your kind feedback!

I’m confident we will make Rules available to other Custom Fields, but just like @Phil_Seeman recommended to @Nate_Barrett above, I would recommend creating a new #productfeedback thread so other people can support this feature request. And on my end, I’ll make sure to keep you posted as soon as I have more info internally :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Ju2,

FYI, Flowsana’s If-Then Rules support both conditions/triggers and actions using all types of custom fields, not just drop-downs - i.e. you can trigger a rule to run based on a numeric or text custom field, and you can set a numeric or text custom field to a certain value as the result of a rule firing.

2 Likes

FYI, in response to several queries I’ve received, I’ve written a blog post with a detailed comparison of Asana’s If-Then Rules vs. Flowsana’s If-Then Rules:

How do Asana’s Rules compare to Flowsana’s Rules?

2 Likes

Is it me or is this once again a really useful feature that only those on the Business plan can take full advantage of? as someone on the premium plan - for which I have to pay for 5 seats whether I want them or not - I only have the option to move a task to another section when completed - or to complete a task by moving it to another section. No customised rules if you aren’t paying top dollar!

Been using Asana a few years now and been a big supporter but seriously looking into a move over to Clickup - so disappointed and unhappy with Asana right now - spoiled my pleasure at the new view for being miserly once again :angry: