Not receiving notification for completed subtask

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:

I (project owner) am not receiving notifications when a team member completed an assigned subtask.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create TASK 1
  2. Within TASK 1, create subtask A, subtask B
  3. Assign Subtask A to a team member
  4. Team member completes Subtask A and checks box as complete
  5. Project owner does not receive any notification regarding the completed subtask (in asana, email or otherwise).

Browser version: Version 90.0.4430.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @Annsley, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Can you confirm if you are a collaborator on the completed subtask? You would only receive a notification in this case if you were added to the specific subtask :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hearing back from you :slight_smile:

This seems to be the logical consequence of a Subtask not natively being a part of the Project of the Parent task. The Project owner, in Asana’s view, would not be notified of Subtask completion because the owner has no defined relationship to the Subtask - unless the Subtask is explicitly added to the Project of its parent, which creates new issues including duplication of the Subtask in List and Timeline Views.

Maybe a Rule could provide a workaround…not sure.

1 Like

I want to point out that the project owner DOES NOT get notified of regular task completion either, unless they were collaborators. So what you describe is not related to subtasks in my opinion, this is an intended behavior. (that makes sense in my opinion)

1 Like

Ah, OK.

@Annsley I would suggest figuring out what kind of notifications or awareness you would like, and then either adding yourself as an explicit collaborator on the item in question, and/or saving a report to review this periodically.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I can confirm that I was the collaborator on the main task. It seems weird that if I assign a subtask to someone, I don’t get notified when the assignee completes the subtask.

@stephanie_oberg, how do I get to that window?

Upper right Search box / Advanced Search / (Set visible filters) / Add filter / More (set those filters) / Search / (in search results window) / Save Report / (give it a name) / Save Search / (will show up under Reports in left sidebar)

Ha, I had to chuckle while I was listing the steps needed…would take a while to hit upon all that oneself.

1 Like

Thanks, hopefully this will work as a solution for the time being. I also spent forever trying to find that window so I’m glad it wasn’t just me!

This topic was automatically closed 16 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.