New "rule will run on tasks and subtasks that meet the defined trigger" Question

Upon logging on to my dashboard today, I noticed something new when creating a rule. A little pop up for the rule now has a toggle between “Run on Tasks” and “Run on Tasks and Subtasks - rule will run on tasks and subtasks that meet the defined trigger”.

I assumed it meant if you have a rule that says when “Category A” is changed it will Complete that task, for instance. In my case, if I had a task that has 3 subtasks and I write a rule that says “When the [trigger] Print status changes to Samples, it will complete the subtask”. I made this rule so that it “runs on tasks and subtasks” but it only seems to work when the Parent task is updated. What could I be doing wrong here?

The rule does not work the way you think it does.

If you change the category on the subtask itself, it will indeed trigger. But the new feature is not about impacting subtasks if something happens to the parent task. It is about treating subtasks the same way tasks are treated, which is slightly different.

Someone had the same issue the other day: the trigger was a section change, and they expected the subtasks to be impacted if the parent task changed section. This is not the way it is suppose to work (yet?).

I hope it clarifies things!

1 Like

When I change the category of the subtask though, it doesn’t trigger anything, that is where my problem lies, even though I have the rule set to ‘run on tasks and subtasks’. So if my trigger is when the category of the subtask is updated to something, the action would be to mark that subtask complete, yet it does not.

Yeah, I noticed this option too. Which at first was a huge win. I thought if the parent task of a subtask in a section is under a rule and I change the rule setting to ‘runs on tasks and subtasks’ that the rule would apply to the subtask… but doesn’t seem to work at all like that. In fact, I don’t understand how it works and can’t seem to find anything in support. Is this a useless button for a future feature?

I just tested exactly this set up and it works as expected. You should reach out to support regarding your specific use case, because on my end it works fine.

Thanks - I definitely will. Appreciate the help!

I thought I was doing something wrong, over and over, but I am glad (unfortunately) it isn’t just me that seems to be running into this issue.

This topic was automatically closed after 25 days. New replies are no longer allowed.