New! Achieve your most important objectives with Goals

Hi @Marie just a heads up that the link on the new Goals feature page for Asana Academy connects through to an old Goals lesson which teaches how to set these up in a project.

Definitely confused by Goals, how it correlates to portfolios (which was originally supposed to track goals?), what is a subgoal and its purpose, how projects are related to portfolios vs. goals.

:man_shrugging:

Is there a demo video for this for an actual use case? Seems like a necessity before rollout for a complicated feature like this. The guide article explains some functionality but doesn’t really empower the user to use it with the best practices the product developers must have had in mind.

3 Likes

+1 here. I would have loved to play around with GOALS but turn it OFF for my organization (on a business account). I dislike that anyone can add any goal they want.

3 Likes

Really well said on the 10 for idea, but 4 for execution.

1 Like

Available on the business plan… Does that mean that Premium (paying!) users have another link in the menu that has no function? Portfolios also leads to “please upgrade”. Now Goals is added to take up precious space in the sidebar…

Are we able to hide those links?

1 Like

Thank you so much for all the feedback you have provided so far, we really appreciate it.

@Todd_Cavanaugh, Goals should represent the outcomes you’ve set to achieve that support your organization’s top-level objectives. They’re the public-facing commitments of the team, that often ladder up to your org’s top goals/priorities. These outcomes are supported and driven by the work in your projects and Portfolio. We recommend you use Goals to set and track the progress of strategic goals, while Portfolios should be used to manage, monitor the health of a collection of projects, and keep your team updated on the progress of work.

@IvanStaykov, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, we appreciate the details and your candor, and will definitely keep it in mind as we continue working on Portfolios and Goals. The good news is that this is just the beginning for Goals and we have a long roadmap of exciting updates on the horizon. At the Future of Asana event, you’ll learn more about Goals and our multi-year product vision. If you haven’t yet, you can still register for our event later today (all details are available in The Future of Asana - you can also use this thread to chat during the event itself!).

I’ve taken note of all the feedback shared so far, but if you’d like to share more I’d highly recommend this feedback form to escalate your feedback directly to our Product Team.

1 Like

I am happy to see this, I wish It had been released about a month ago, when I setup Goals & OKRs as projects linked to everything in the description. To that point, I am going to migrate over to the new Goals, but I am curious if the concept is to use subgoals to represent Key Results or if that is a future feature so I can make the migration most effective?

I saw in the Future of Asana presentations that the goals has key results red buttons like milestones do in projects. Is this a soon to have a or a next year feature just trying to decide what to do with KRs for now?

1 Like

I just submitted some feedback as well on this as the goals seems kind of confusing in its display. For example, I created several goals, G1, G2, G3. Several of the goals have sub-goals, e.g. G1-A, G1-B, G1-C, G2-A, G2-B, etc.

In the display, all the goals are showing in an order that cannot be sorted by any field. The goals, do have the ability to expand and contract, showing the sub goals, but the sub-goals are always displayed as well.

Is this a bug or is there a setting to only show the goals in this view and expand the sub-goals as needed?

1 Like

Hi @Harris_Silver,

This is currently expected, but we’re already working on some quick follow-ups, we’re only getting started with Goals!

1 Like

Nice!

But what about goals within a project? And I don’t mean milestones… :slight_smile:

Hi all :wave:t3:

We’ve just released an e-book to learn what are OKRs, how to set them successfully, avoid common pitfalls, and roll them out company-wide!

Click here to download your copy!

v
2 Likes

Great idea @JohanW! Would you mind creating a new thread in #productfeedback to help us keep track of this request and allow other folks to support it?

@Carla_Bagdonas from our Customer Education team created a video to help you and your team better understand and adopt Goals, check it out!

2 Likes

done

@Marie do you know what percentage we are sitting at for the rollout of Goals?

Great to hear. I’ve been trying to use Portfolios to get an overall view of objectives/goals with a roll-up of status. The less manual updates the better, as if the goals can leverage on the percentage complete of a project or a series of projects, it should be able to calculate a percentage complete status I would think.

So in the video example, how are you achieving the hierarchy of goals without the sub-goals showing up in the same list.

2 Likes

Hi @LEGGO, Goals have now been launched to 100% of our Business and Enterprise customers!

Hi @Harris_Silver, this is something we’re aiming for in a future update, stay tuned!