Need to copy project(s) between workspaces? Use Ditto

The best way to copy a project or set of projects between workspaces (or even within a workspace) is to use the third-party app Ditto developed and supported by Forum member @Kothar:

Be sure to read the detailed documentation at the Ditto website to learn exactly how your copy will be handled with respect to what is copied and what happens in specific cases, say regarding members or custom fields in one workspace but not another.

Asana offers Duplicate Project and export/import, but these only work one project at a time and are not nearly as flexible or complete as Ditto. Asana Support regularly recommends the use of Ditto.

Many of us are so appreciative of this great app that we have upgraded to Pro to support Dittoā€™s development (itā€™s a total bargain, low one-time fee).

Happy duplicating,

Larry

PS No financial interest; just a happy, long-term customer.

12 Likes

@Lbp I have used it, with success. I like how you use your platform to promote others.

2 Likes

Just stumbled across this - thanks @lpb and @Kothar for making this possible. Looks like it will be tremendously helpful. We work with a partner how is discontinuing their Asana account that we have been using for past and future work, and I was dreading the export/import into our account we would have had to do. Iā€™ll try this in ditto now!

1 Like

@Kothar I successfully migrated one project, but now I canā€™t make it work again and am receiving this error:

Please advise.

Hi Abby, sorry for the terribly late reply.

I think this may be to do with some of the new custom field types which I hadnā€™t updated Ditto to understand yet. Are you using multi-enum (multiple select) custom fields by any chance?

Iā€™m preparing a new release and doing final testing at the moment. If you still need to copy your project please get in touch again and we can check if the problem you are seeing has been resolved.

2 Likes

Hello @Kothar, can I close my laptop while the transfer is in progress?

Hi @JaneA - yes, the transfer happens on the Ditto servers, so you can close your laptop and come back to it

thanks @Kothar. Another question, I received this error ā€œUnrecoverable error: A request to Asana canā€™t be completed and is returning an error: Not Authorizedā€
After 3 hrs of processing, it ended and has failed status. When I checked the destination workspace, the project, tasks & subtasks were transferred.

May I ask what cause it to have ā€œFailedā€ status, if there are items transferred?
How can I be sure if everything is transferred?

@Kothar, In case you werenā€™t aware, something occurred yesterday causing at least three apps/developers to see/report ā€œNo authorizationā€ errors, then maybe has gone away:

Larry

2 Likes

Aha, thanks @lpb - I did wonder as I had several reports of this happening today.

1 Like

Sorry youā€™ve had a failed transfer @JaneA, unfortunately it does mean that the transfer wasnā€™t complete. There isnā€™t currently a way to retry/verify a transfer, so the best thing to do would be to delete the transferred project and repeat the transfer.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Hi @Kothar
Iā€™m interested in using Ditto, but have many questions about how it works and how the pro version works (for example, in the pro version to subtasks and sections, projects, transfer? As I noticed they do not in the non pro version). Is there a way to contact you for more questions? We are looking to transfer many projects from one account to another.
Thanks!

Hi Jenelle,

Sorry for the slow reply, Iā€™m a bit behind on Ditto support questions at the moment. If you want to contact me directly you can use ditto@kothar.net.

For anyone else wondering the same things:

The ā€˜Proā€™ version of Ditto lets you customise which elements of a project to transfer (comments, attachments, etc) but the ā€˜non-proā€™ version copies everything except a few task history stories which arenā€™t usually wanted in the final copy.

@Jenelle_Hawkins, please do get in touch, Iā€™m not sure why subtasks or sections wouldnā€™t transfer for you with the non-pro version.

1 Like

Hi @lpb

Great article, thank you.

I was wondering if this article (and Ditto website) use voluntary the term ā€œworkspaceā€ (as Asana Workspace) or does the tool also apply to Asana Environments and even Asana Divisions ?

Thanks, @Arthur_BEGOU!

Yes, ā€œworkspaceā€ is the umbrella term in the API for either an Asana organization (or Division) or workspace so to shorten things up I use the one term (but probably better to be more clear).

Ditto works in all those environments.

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

If youā€™re interested in copying projects from one Asana WS to another, you can take a look at this solution: Asana to Asana migration - Altosio - Altosio