Sudden 'No Authorization' error on API calls

Hey,
We have had a perfectly working integration with the API for a few years now and suddenly yesterday, we started receiving ‘No Authorization’ errors when creating tasks, adding tags or creating subtasks. The issue is that it seems completely random. I execute the same code and sometimes it creates the task but fails when adding the tag(s), sometimes it creates the task, adds the tags and creates 4 sub tasks before failing, other times it creates 9 subtasks before failing. I definitely have a valid token (evidenced by the fact that I can create the task in the first place) and there is nothing in the code/task/sub-task itself causing it because otherwise, it would consistently fail at the same point.

401 error looks like: (example of it failing what adding a tag to a task)

{“errors”:[{“message”:“Not Authorized”,“help”:“For more information on API status codes and how to handle them, read the docs on errors: xxxx/docs/errors”}]} [headers] => Httpful\Response\Headers Object ( [headers:Httpful\Response\Headers:private] => Array ( [date] => Wed, 19 Oct 2022 16:08:45 GMT [content-type] => application/json; charset=UTF-8 [content-length] => 181 [connection] => keep-alive [server] => nginx [cache-control] => no-store [pragma] => no-cache [x-frame-options] => DENY [x-xss-protection] => 1; mode=block [x-content-type-options] => nosniff [content-security-policy] => report-uri xxxxxxcsp_report?report_only=false;default-src ‘none’;frame-src ‘none’;frame-ancestors ‘none’ [x-asana-api-version] => 1.0 [asana-change] => name=new_project_templates;info=xxxxxx/t/a-new-api-for-project-templates/156432 [x-robots-tag] => none ) ) [raw_headers] => HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 16:08:45 GMT Content-Type: application/json; charset=UTF-8 Content-Length: 181 Connection: keep-alive Server: nginx Cache-Control: no-store pragma: no-cache X-Frame-Options: DENY X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff Content-Security-Policy: report-uri xxxxx/csp_report?report_only=false;default-src ‘none’;frame-src ‘none’;frame-ancestors ‘none’ X-Asana-Api-Version: 1.0 Asana-Change: name=new_user_task_lists;info=xxxxx/t/update-on-our-planned-api-changes-to-user-task-lists-a-k-a-my-tasks/103828 Asana-Change: name=external_goal_metrics;info=xxxxxx/t/changes-to-goal-metrics-progress-sources/221257 Asana-Change: name=new_project_templates;info=xxxxxx/t/a-new-api-for-project-templates/156432 X-Robots-Tag: none [request] => Httpful\Request Object ( [uri] => xxxxxxx/tasks/1203201504120948/addTag [method] => POST [headers] => Array ( [content-type] => application/json [X-Asana-Client-Lib] => version=0.5.0&language=PHP&language_version=7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.13&os=Linux&os_version=4.15.0-192-generic [Authorization] => Bearer xxxx

If anyone has any ideas about how I can troubleshoot this, I would be super grateful.

thanks so much

Exact same issue here. A Make automation has run smoothly for 6 months and I’m now getting “[401] Not Authorized” error seemingly randomly amongst multiple scenario…

Calling in @sasha_f and @Phil_Seeman

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Wow, that does seem odd - since it seems to be happening on different objects at different times, that’s what makes it tough to diagnose. I don’t have any ideas at the moment but I’ll see if I can rustle up some help.

2 Likes

Hey,
The errors have stopped without any code changes from my side so whatever the error was seems to be resolved. Thanks very much

1 Like

We have seen the exact same thing happen recently - a total of 18 occurrences, with the first occurrence at 2022-10-18 11:40 am Pacific Time and the last at 2022-10-19 09:32 am Pacific time.

There’s no particular rhyme or reason - these 401 errors seemingly occurred at random, irrespective of the project or the operation being performed (e.g., removing a task, adding a task, updating a task, etc.)

Encountered “Unrecoverable error: A request to Asana can’t be completed and is returning an error: Not Authorized”

Processing started 20 Oct '22 08:03 UTC
Process time: 3h4m2s

Hey folks, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’re currently looking into it. I’ll try to provide an update by EOD

1 Like

Ok I have an update, the intermittent 401’s should begin subsiding. The infrastructure change rollout that caused this was halted and reverted, and it can take a little time for all the hosts to return to the previous state. Please let us know on this thread if you continue receiving intermittent 401’s beyond the next 6-ish hours.

Thanks!

2 Likes

No further issues on our side. Thanks very much