My tasks - List view – How to group by custom field BUT sort by due date

Hi everyone,

I’m wondering if there’s a way of grouping tags by tag (in my case: client), but then sorting them by due date within each of those groups.
As of now, I have to manually rearrange the tasks on each group (each client).

Thank you!!

1 Like

(Disclaimer, this answer is correct for a project but not correct for the My Task. I misunderstood the request. Please see my following message for the correct answer).

Hi @anon57406611 :wave:

Just to be accurate, what you call “tag” is actually a “Custom Field”.
“Tags” is something else in Asana (an official field).

To answer your question, yes, you can add multiple “Sorts”.

This is how to do it

This is the result

Hope that helps, if not, let me know :wink:

Hi Arthur,

thank you so much! However: I don’t seem to have that option (maybe you are in some other view, like projects?)
What I’m showing is my My tasks view, as all of my tasks come from different projects/boards. On this screenshot you can see what’s above the screenshot I first shared. As you can see, the Sort button is greyed out.

And now another question: do custom fields reflect for everyone on my organization or are they only for me to see? I need them just for me actually and I’m hoping this isn’t visible for other tasks’ collaborators :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your time!

1 Like

Oh my bad, I didn’t get that it was about My Task and not a project… :upside_down_face:

Then it is possible, but the technique is different.

1. Group by “Custom Section”
  2. Create a Section for each Client
  3. Create advanced rules to automatically sort your tasks by Client (ex: If Custom Field Client = Client 1, then move task to section Client 1)
  4. Apply the sorting by Due date that won’t be greyed out.

As long as you don’t add the field to your organization library, they are private to you.

1 Like

That totally worked, thank you so much for your help! :raised_hands:

1 Like

UPDATE:

Nevermind me :laughing:
I realized I was sorting by Client instead of by Custom Section which was the whole point of your explanation :melting_face:
Leaving this here anyways in case it could help someone else in the future!!

It’s me again.

For some reason the solution just stoped working and I’m just so confused!
It was working until I added the last one of the rules (also attached).
I’ve tried deleting that last rule in case there was some bug from my side in there, but nope.

Here is a view of my List and a view of my Board.

Any ideas? Thank you sooo so much I’m sorry for bothering again!!

1 Like

Ahhaha yes, indeed, Group by “Custom Section” and then you will be able to apply an additional sorting.

Happy it works :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.