Multiple tabs in Desktop app

After seeing this feedback on the launch post and not seeing a product feedback thread (might have missed it - please merge if so), I wanted to go ahead and start one because this is crucial for me as well. I appreciate that you can open multiple windows but having everything in one window and being able to toggle back and forth between tabs (especially with a keyboard shortcut) is key.

@Phil_Bowles @Jonathan_Stern @Cassidy_Clark @Brian_Smith1 I @Lorenz_Vercauteren-S saw you all mentioned wanting this functionality as well.

17 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback, @Chandler_Ferguson!

Multiple tabs would be a great addition to the desktop app. Hopefully this is something our Product team can implement in the near future :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you posted if I have any updates!

8 Likes

Good use of the forum @Chandler_Ferguson. And indeed, a shortcut key is a must, something like

alt ~

would be great!

4 Likes

Thanks for raising this Chandler.

1 Like

Hi there,

The only reason I still prefer to use Asana in Chrome (despite the heavier load on RAM) is because I can open several Asana tabs within one environment.
I think it would be a great addition to the desktop app to add an “Open in a new Tab” instead of a new window.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your feedback @Levi_NL! We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main feedback thread to consolidate feedback: https://forum.asana.com/t/multiple-tabs-in-desktop-app/121071

1 Like

I was just about to create a new post for this and then saw one existed already. I am SO happy to have a desktop app, as I was using Fluid for a while but it stopped working well for me. However, I almost always have a minimum of 3 Asana tabs open at any one time… generally my tasks, a meeting agenda, and then at least one project that I’m reviewing during a meeting. I like that we can open a new window easily, but would love it to be contained within one window.

1 Like

+1

Please research how a best in class Mac App should actually behave. It’s not just tabs but making it possible to open tasks in separate windows. This makes multi tasking on the Mac so much more powerful than tabs in browser.

1 Like

In addition to this feature; On Mac when clicking the Admin Console a new window opens in a non workable ratio that is very hard to easily fullscreen.
Perhaps Slack has the answer here where most settings are opened in browser from the app.

Hope is great, near future is relative

1 Like

I open a lot of links from Slack and email, which opens up the Asana desktop app, which is great! However, when I open that link, it takes over the current window I have open in the asana desktop app. I’d love it if I could configure it so that whenever I open a link in the browser that will open up the desktop app, it will automatically create a new window with that task open, instead of disrupting my current window.

Thank you!

1 Like

I hope the desktop app gets multiple tab support very soon.

1 Like

Hi @anon85342203, welcome to the Asana Community forum :wave:t2:

Thanks for sharing your feedback :slight_smile: We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main feedback thread to consolidate feedback: Multiple Tabs in Desktop App

It’s a gorgeous app. I installed it, opened it up, marveled at the slick interface, looked for a way to open up multiple tabs, realized there wasn’t one, then… promptly went back to Chrome.

Seriously, it’s like having a Kanban board with only one column! :wink: Hopefully, this gets implemented soon!

3 Likes

so glad to finally have a desktop app, but until it supports multiple tabs, I can’t use it!

1 Like

+1, no tabs means no use.

Otherwise I’d gladly switch to the app to release the burden from my Chrome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would also urgently need the multiple-tabs function - otherwise cannot use Desktop App. When will this be implemented? Many thanks

3 Likes

It’s a must-have feature. I cannot use a desktop app without being able to open multiple instances of this application. thanks

3 Likes

Any update about whether this feature will be implemented?

Agree that this functionality is crucial to the app use.