Meet your new My Tasks

I completely agree. I relied on recurring tasks (1x / month) to automatically end up in the Later section and now I’m spending way more time managing My Tasks.

Asana basically quit handling workflows in My Tasks.

6 Likes

Hi. I use my tasks to see what is due today. How can I organise it does this? At the moment it has a section at the called recently assigned with hundreds of historical tasks that are not relevant and doesn’t show recurring tasks. How can I create a view like before which just shows all tasks in order of due date?

Thanks

1 Like

Right. Now that it takes an extra step its an extra friction point for new users to leverage as well.

2 Likes

After reading all of the replies in this thread I am really worried about this change that’s yet to be implemented into our account.

Is it possible to delay getting our account updated?

I do not want to change my routine, it’s hard enough as is to keep on top of busy days, and so far the majority of users seem to be disappointed.

I’m sure it will just be a matter of time for the updated feature set to get kinks worked out, but I do not want to mess up my teams day to day.

3 Likes

Hi,
Would it be possible to see my coworkers sections in my tasks view, we use this feature a lot to prioritize work (before today, upcoming, later).

What about tasks with the start date, how can I promote them? As I see the rules relate only to the due date, not the start date.

Do you plan to add keyboard shortcuts to move tasks through sections (the later section shortcut was very useful)?

Hi @Ariella_Fishkin, we are not updating the way subtasks are managed at the moment. Subtasks will show under the No project section is they are not associated with any project. You can upvote. for this feature here: Show project on subtask in 'My tasks' view

@Jaime_Blanco: No, you don’t need a paid version for that. The rules to move tasks to a certain section when the due date is approaching is available in the free version. Please see below what Rules will be available for which tiers:

• Free version:
    • Move tasks to a certain section when the due date is approaching
  • Premium version:
    • Move tasks to a certain section when the due date is approaching
    • Move task to a certain section when they are marked complete
    • Complete a task when it is moved to a certain section
  • Business & Enterprise versions:
    • All custom rules currently available for projects

Hi @Vanessa_Gardner, this feature is being gradually rolling out. We are planning to start migrating business and enterprise customers at the end of May but it may take a couple of weeks until we can roll out the feature to all accounts included in this group.

1 Like

Our team is working to make the section mover menu accessible via keyboard shortcuts and we hope to have news soon! We don’t have a specific timeline but I’ll keep you posted.

6 Likes

@anon25712525 We are planning to start rolling out this feature for Business and Enterprise accounts starting the end of may! Please note this process may take a few weeks. I’ll keep posting any updates in this thread :slight_smile:

Fully agree. The recurring task/recently assigned bug is especially annoying as I use these every day as well as the section keystrokes. Plus,

If you redate a task in Today it stays in Today instead of moving to Upcoming or Later automatically. You then need to move manually by mouse action. There are no rules to resove this in the Premium subscription.

The Later section won’t collapse because there are too many tasks in it. Some tasks don’t have a date - only the subtasks are dated and other ‘tasks’ are stored in Later for a variety of reasons so this is going to be an on-going issue.

Surely Asana should test out their updates and resolve these sort of obvious issues before rolling out updates?

4 Likes

Are you testing this or is it a function that’s already set?

WHY do recurring tasks appear in New, instead of Upcoming??? WHY would you do that? I don’t understand the logic. Please explain.

This is so annoying. I have daily, weekly and monthly recurring tasks, imagine my face every time I finish a task :clown_face:

6 Likes

Would it be possible to add a filter to My Tasks that hides anything that’s due later than today, rather than moving tasks around various sections?

2 Likes

Hi guys,

I guess the new “My Tasks” was just rolled out to my account, and accoring to Asana support, I need to now create rules to mimick the old behaviour.

However, it’s not possible… the rules just don’t exist.

I was able to create rules to move items to Upcoming and Today OK, but getting an effective rule for Later just isn’t possible.

1. The rules appear to be exact matches on days/weeks/etc. It’s not possible to have a “more than” rule. This causes issue between creating rules for 30 vs. 31 day months. Actually, I must make 4 rules: 1 each for 28, 29, 30, and 31 days.

2. The rule does not appear in Later until the next day. This pollutes my “Recently Assigned” section. When I complete an task, why would I want the new one to appear there? It should immediately be assigned to Later.

3. I have repeating items that are quarterly and yearly. So now I must create individual rules to try to capture the right number of days for those.

4. The old behaviour only applied to items I intentionally assigned into Later/Upcoming/Today. But the new rules will apply to all tasks. So if I assign a due date to a task, it may get moved when I don’t want it to be.

The old behaviour worked beautifully. I can understand the desire to “generalize” things to make things more flexible. However, the change should not have happened until such time as the old behaviour could be exactly matched for those that relied on it. Or have an option to retain the old behaviour. Personally, I don’t have a practical use for Rules. So I’m just using it now to restore old behaviour that’s been lost.

If you truly want the new Rules feature to replace the old behaviour, then perhaps default rules to mimick the old behaviour should have rolled out side-by-side with the new “My Tasks”.

I beg you, roll it back until such time as the old behaviour can be properly mimicked with Rules.

13 Likes

Agreed strongly. That would have avoided almost all the pain that users are reporting.

13 Likes

So much pain! I was also unable to follow the directions given for using the rules to customize the experience. Why did Asana think it was a good idea to remove the “tab L” function to move a task from “recently assigned” to “Later”?

5 Likes

Been having a lot of back and forth with Asana support about these issues and there does not seem to be a plan to go back to what the My Tasks area was before. The hot keys have been “sunsetted” and the rules function cannot completely mimic the previous auto sort. Hopefully more people bring up this issue so we can get some functionality back.

2 Likes

That is coming back I believe.

Can you elaborate?

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @Richard_Clarke, I recommend you to check out these four ways to organize your MyTasks including by date!

@Patryk_D you can see your colleagues sections in their My Tasks as long as you have access to manage their My Tasks:

Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 11.51.03

Great question, I’m trying to test this on my end and I’ll confirm how it currently works!

Yes, we hope to have news about this soon!

1 Like

@Patryk_D, @Emily_Roman, and others,

I’m afraid the rule doesn’t respect Start date at all.

Please vote for this feedback request that I just added:

Thanks,

Larry

4 Likes

Sorry, but I am not happy at all with this update. Minor change with big impact on daily habits.

8 Likes

They may call it a feature but it’s a disaster for me. The new My Tasks is so counterintuitive that we have had tasks that were missed because of it. Normally, my morning task of deciding on which tasks to do today and which to defer takes five to ten minutes and I quite enjoyed it. Now it takes much longer and is a PITA. The suggestion of adding automated rules is not helpful as Asana still hasn’t figured out a way to make the start date the deciding factor for when a project is due. Bring back the keyboard shortcuts right now and stop faffing around with stuff that doesn’t need faffing with.

12 Likes