Meet your new My Tasks

Hello,

I have a premium workspace. I am only really hearing about the timeline for Business/Enterprise, which is end of May. What is the timeline for premium workspaces at this point?

Thank you!

Hi @lpb, jumping in here for @Rebecca_McGrath! I have a quick look and I see we don’t have any threads in the #productfeedback category requesting this feature. @Pierre-Michel_Ruel please feel free to create a new one and we will follow up with you when we have any plans to implement the option to sort tasks by project within sections. Thanks for your feedback!

1 Like

@Lee_Meeks these are the Rules available per plan:

• Free version:
    • Move tasks to a certain section when the due date is approaching
  • Premium version:
    • Move tasks to a certain section when the due date is approaching
    • Move task to a certain section when they are marked complete
    • Complete a task when it is moved to a certain section
  • Business & Enterprise versions:
    • All custom rules currently available for projects

Hi @anon63027503, thanks for reaching out! If you don’t have Today, upcoming and Later sections, it’s probably because you already have the new My Tasks. I’m wondering if you see the Board tab and the Customize button in your My tasks? If you still don’t have it, it’s probably because, as you mentioned, you used to be part of a Business plan when the migration started.

@anon70643459 I’m requesting an update and I hope to have news about the timeline soon!

I’m a premium user and have yet to see this roll out. I’m so confused .

Hi @lpb @Emily_Roman it’s done.
For those who would like to vote for this features here’s the link: Ability to sort tasks by project within sections in my tasks view
Have a good day

2 Likes

Do rules work for free users? Not this one! I can easily create a rule to move today’s tasks to “Today” but it immediately says “rule broken” and tells me “The section no longer exists”. Same result when I try to create a rule to promote tasks to “Upcoming”.

I also don’t see how to stop my recurring tasks now appearing in “Recently assigned” when they’re recreated on completion - so I need premium for that?

Rules break automatically in “Personal projects” - seems to work elsewhere. Will that be fixed?

Still need an answer for recurring tasks.

Which plan lets you stop auto-generated recurring tasks from appearing in “Recently assigned” and having to be manually moved to “Later” or “Upcoming”?

Recurring tasks now recreate under “Recently assigned” - what rule will send them to “Later” or “Upcoming” as before?

2 Likes

My first thought was of every single active user creating rules to replicate the behaviour that was previously automatic - such a waste of time.

It seems the reason that Asana hasn’t created the required rules for all its active users is because the the rules can’t actually do everything that used to happen automatically. So they’ve left everyone to discover that and figure out their own solutions (more duplication). That’s very disappointing…

4 Likes

Hi. When rules are created based off the due date to be organized in a certain section, will the task be updated to the appropriate new section? If not, is there a way to remove the section from the task?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Reinstate keyboard shortcuts for today, upcoming, and later in my tasks

Actually, you got some things mixed up. We only just became a Business paid plan in early May 2021 after a free 30 day trail that began in April. So we are current customers, not past.

I’m fairly certain I have not migrated yet, as I sent a screen grab of my MyTasks to Support and they let me know that I’m on V1 (evidenced by my not yet having the option on MyTasks to set up Custom Rules).

It might, admittedly, have been “user error” that I’m on V1 and do not have “Today” “Upcoming” and “Later” sections. But I honestly don’t remember changing anything on that tab (or even really exploring it), as I spent the first month of use setting up all of our templates and inputting our projects and tasks, etc. This week was the first time I started to try to discover the functionality of the MyTasks page. And the way it currently looks, 95% of our many tasks are populating in MyTasks in an uncategorized list, not assigned to any section. So it doesn’t really behave like V1 or V2 from what I can see. Again, perhaps it’s user error.

It won’t be. “Personal Projects” is a very old type of Asana structure - they stopped adding it to new users a few years back and don’t really support it any more - it’s not recommended for use. Best to migrate off of it to a regular workspace or organization. You can do that via https://ditto.kothar.net/.

1 Like

:slightly_frowning_face:. Been using since 2015, wonder why I never heard. Oh well, migration done (thanks Kothar) and of course all my tasks are now “Recently assigned” so this will be an ‘interesting’ experience with the rules.

What’s your expert opinion on how to replicate similar behaviour to the old Today/Upcoming/Later setup? The rules can’t cope with “Later” but I think having sections for “Day 1”, “Day 2-7”, “Day 8-30” etc (whatever floats your boat) might be a good alternative that due date rules will handle. But I foresee a problem with annual tasks - possibly overcome with 2 rules (365 and 366 days) and I also believe that if I’ve set a task to recur every 14 days, it won’t go into “Day 8-30” as the trigger isn’t met - it will hang about in “Recently assigned” until the trigger for “Day 2-7” is met.

I see myself ending up with 23 rules on my “Day 8-30” section - one for due date 8 days away, one for due date 9 days away… and so on, just to capture new tasks generated by recurring tasks as well as randomly-dated manually-created tasks. I suppose the compromise is not to legislate for every possible day, and accept “Recently assigned” as a holding area that has little other use anymore.

1 Like

A thought here. As I can foresee myself setting up a bunch of sections with accompanying rules to keep “My Tasks” in order (and not holidaying semi-permanently in “Recently Assigned”), can we have a way to export/import the structure and rules as a template?

This would be useful for anyone managing several workspaces - I do, and I don’t relish the thought of duplicating my effort on every workspace. We could also share our templates with others - anything to help!

1 Like

My understanding is that when the due date of a task matches the trigger in the rule, the task will move to the section dictated by the rule.

If you create a rule that moves tasks to “Upcoming” when their due date is 1 week away, that’s exactly what will happen. But if you create a task today that is 6 days away, the 1 week rule will never catch it - you have to move it into “Upcoming” manually, or create a rule based on 5 days (I think, as the rules run at local midnight) if you find you’re always creating tasks due in 6 days. (PS maybe I’m wrong here but it’s how I’ve understood the explanation I’ve read - trying to test it!)

:+1:

The new My Tasks rules have only been around for a few weeks so no one is an expert yet! :laughing:

See the section “Recreating Today, Upcoming, Later promotion behavior” here:

See this thread for more on recurring tasks:

Bottom line: recurring tasks in My Tasks don’t currently behave the way anyone including Asana wants, and that should be corrected soon. So I wouldn’t advise spending a lot of time trying to build rules to process recurring tasks since their behavior is likely to be changing soon.

4 Likes

That would be cool! You can create a new thread in the Product Feedback forum section if you want to make this a more “formal” request and have people be able to vote for it.

1 Like