Mark all subtasks complete before allowing tasks to be marked complete

We use subtasks a lot in my team, they really help manage a process. But we’ve found they cause issue, particularly under recurring tasks, when users get lazy and don’t mark the subtask as done before they mark the main task as done. We end up with “orphaned” subtasks floating around in the list of incomplete tasks.

The other issue is that allowing users to mark the main task as done before the subtasks are complete makes tracking a full project difficult. For example, if raising an invoice for a job is one subtask but it’s not marked as complete, it’s not obvious that a potentially crucial step in the process has been left out.

I haven’t seen a way to do this currently, so perhaps you can consider a future feature where we can block users from marking a task as complete until every subtask is marked complete. Personally, this would save me a huge amount of frustration at users who are lazy and less interested in doing things “properly”.

Parent tasks should not be able to be marked completed while subtasks are not
Is there a way that we can not tick off the main task until all th sub tasks have been ticked off?

Agreed! We are evaluating Asana and identified this as an issue almost immediately. The parent task can be marked completed, even if the subtasks are not. That can pose some serious issues, especially if there are dependencies tied to the subtasks that are then assumed to be completed.

Hi there,

I am just wondering if there was any movement on this feature for Asana? I am struggling with the same issue as Alexander where a task may be complete to a certain point, but smaller tasks are left unfinished due to a tasks being marked complete. It would be nice to only complete a main tasks once all subtasks are complete as well.

Maybe there are other teams out there manaing their business differently and subtasks are never used?

We also have this problem.

same problem for us too, would love a workaround!

Agree that this is problem for us as well. Any update from Asana on this?

And another. Also makes for exporting tasks frustrating.
Is there a way to search for all subtasks marked incomplete where the main task is marked complete? That would be a nice intermediary step

Agreed! We are evaluating Asana and identified this as an issue almost immediately. The parent task can be marked completed, even if the subtasks are not. That can pose some serious issues, especially if there are dependencies tied to the subtasks that are then assumed to be completed.

Good Day

We would like to be notified as soon as this issue has been resolved it is a necessity for our project management.

Sincerely,
Genevieve

Parent tasks should not be able to be marked completed while subtasks are not.

Hi @Edda. Just flagging this post to possibly merge with this one:

Hey @sara.brown, thank you for your great feedback and welcome to the Asana Forum!

I have merged your request with an existing thread on this topic to maximize visibility, please feel free to leave a vote for this thread if you would like!