Mark a project for completion

After waiting over a year to get this feature, we dropped our corporate subscription to Asana and moved to Monday. It is not just due to this key feature missing, but due to the lack of the company to respond to the extensive and numerous requests of its users. I recommend to change platforms if you are truly frustrated by this and you can find that other platforms have the features you need.

1 Like

I canā€™t see how this hasnā€™t been achieved since April 2018. Things like this will lead to us cancelling our subscription and moving to something more usable and with responsive devs.

Isnā€™t it just a matter of adding a new value to the Project Status option? On Track / At Risk / Off Track / Completed (this would be the new one)? I would really like to understand why after 4 years this hasnā€™t been accommodated. I imagine there is some logic at Asana that is saying it is not something that can/should be done.

3 Likes

Echoing the astonishment of my fellow posters here. Please just add another button on the Project Status for ā€œCompletedā€, and functionally have it operate exactly as archiving the project, but then explode my freaking screen with all the mythical creatures. Please and thank you.

5 Likes

I too would like to see, on my home page, completed projects in a different field from those in process. I donā€™t want to archive, I just need to be able to compare completes to in-process, help in prepping activity reports to C-suite. Having all projects lumped together in one field of my home page is simply cluttered and results in time wasted in searching through.

1 Like

I am also not subscribing to Premium due to the lack of the simple feature of marking a project as complete. Already looking for other tools that can better handle it

Is this functionality ever going to be added?

3 Likes

I have been using Asana for 4+ years now and the product development let alone feature adjustments and bug fixing has seemingly slowed to an absolute crawl. After 4+ years of hundreds of customers requesting the ability to mark a Project as complete, itā€™s still not done. And Asana staff are still instructing on the use of a ā€œWorkaroundā€.

Likewise, not being able to duplicate and copy tasks / templates on iOS or iPadOS over on another thread in this forum has almost nearly as many requests and even more comments for an equally confounding length of time.

I have multiple businesses that were all using Asana 4 years ago. As of the past month, 3 of the 4 teams have been migrated to Notion.

You are losing business by ignoring your customers. Insert shrug emoji here.

3 Likes

+1 for this basic feature request. Registered on the forum for this specific ask.

Very surprised this needed to be a feature request. Even more surprised that we are still waiting after 4 years.

5 Likes

Have just joined Asana and we completed our first project, yay! I went to mark the project as complete and lo and behold, you cannot do that! In a project management tool, this seems like one of the fundamental features you would include, and i am baffled that after almost 4 years of this being requested, it hasnā€™t been updated. Seems like such an easy fix!
Great piece of software otherwise. I would just love it if projects clearly showed they were completed (rather than archived which is not so clear)
Come on guys, listen to your community!!

3 Likes

New user as well - I agree with the sentiment here. This should be implemented in a future version. Is there an engineering difficulty or is it just not prioritized? Effectively, what can the community do to get this feature ā€œcompletedā€?

2 Likes

Is it just me or is it absolutely bananas that a project management system doesnā€™t allow you to complete projects.

4 Likes

Itā€™s not just you. Everyone with an opinion wants the same as you do.

I have never come across someone who wants all their ancient, long forgotten (Y2K?) projects perpetually cluttering their searches, summaries and reports for all time.

2 Likes

Glad to know Iā€™m not alone @Stephanie_Oberg.

@Asana / @Emily_Roman , why do you guys never respond with anything meaningful to these years old issues and all the users that have taken time to report/suggest fixes for?

It seems that it would just be common decency to publish a post explaining your rationale for:

• There being no way to close a project, other than archive, which as @Stephanie_Oberg points out doesnā€™t remove projects from search results which wastes your usersā€™ time.
  • Why thereā€™s no two-way real time sync with Google Calendar - this wastes your customers time and creates inefficiencies as you have to manage tasks in one tool and day to day timings in another.

Iā€™m sure that there are good reasons for these two glaring flaws in the Asana system, but when loyal long-suffering customers donā€™t get any kind of acknowledgment of their frustration it feels like you just donā€™t care.

4 Likes

This might have been said already but it would be great when completing a project, to have some final tasks (e.g., retro meeting, lessons learned documentation, etc.) to reinforce good project closeout behavior.

1 Like

+1 for this feature request! Weird that we have to archive and disappear the project away, and canā€™t ever actually update the status to Completed. So our projects can be On Track, At Risk, Off Track, or On Hold, but never actually Completed? after 2-4 years of this simple feature request, how is this not a priority?

5 Likes

Over here too. Iā€™m using something similar to GTD strategy, and a complete project is not the same as a archived project at all. I would love to hear from Asana team if this will ever be featured in the app or not. Iā€™m a new user, liking the functionalities but this seams a pretty basic one (and needed) for me.

+1ā€¦we need a way to mark projects as complete. Having a project status on a portfolio listed as ā€œon trackā€ with tasks 100% complete is very confusing.

I need the complete feature as well.