Make Task templates available to other projects (Task templates library)

Just curious, how is that status change occurring? The user creating the task manually sets it once they’re done typing the task name?

@Phil_Seeman that’s correct, it does have to be set manually. We normally leave new tasks “queued” until the project starts (and is set to “ready”), so it’s a natural sequence. However, I can see it being an unnecessary extra step if one would always want to kick off the rule after typing the task name.

Yeah, that was my thought when I read your post. But as you say, it works out fine in the context of your particular workflow, so that’s good!

Just jumping on this bandwagon. Upvote, we need this feature!!

1 Like

This functionality is a determining factor in continuing with this software. With other options offering this option, we are considering a switch.

1 Like

A template created can only be used within one project and cannot be easily copied to another project.
There may be a scenario where multiple projects can use the same task template and in the current situation a template created in one project cannot be copied to another project easily. you will either have to create a task from the existing template in project A, add that to project B and convert that task to template or recreate the template in project B. Wouldn’t it be easier if you have a copy template option from one project to another?

Asana, please provide a native option to copy templates than work arounds!

2 Likes

I am pretty sure there is an existing thread on the topic but I can’t seem to find it. Maybe @Rebecca_McGrath can help!

1 Like

Not sure if this has been suggested before - use RULES to create projects that says “When a task is put into THIS section then create the following subtask”. Then use that subtask to define the template and select the project where it should go (all within the rule).

No when you make a new project in that section a subtask is created that then becomes a main task in a different project. You can do this rule for every project!

Thanks for the suggestion. But my point here is more like an idea for a feature that can be implemented at the tool level. why do we have to complicate it so much when a simple feature can be provided. Like have an attribute for a template like global and private. global templates are available across projects while private template will be accessible only within a project or something.

It would be great to be able to house our task templates and existing forms in a library so that we can easily add them to new or existing projects without having to manually re-add the title, assignee, description, subtasks, etc… Having a feature where we could bulk-apply existing task templates or forms would be SO nice.

Right now, we use a lot of task templates to allow for people to easily write all the info someone needs in order to successfully complete their task. While this is great, we did this after already have a number of project boards and just recently added it to the project board template we use. Therefore, the existing projects (about 20 of them) do not have the individual task templates.

Same idea goes for forms, it would be great to be able to pull from some sort of library of all of our forms so that we can just add them with one click, rather than having to manually create a new form or task template in each existing project.

Also, although it’s great to be able to add the task templates to the templated board, it would be nice to be able to create a new board and just have the ability to add the task templates / forms that already exist in our organization.

1 Like

Hi @Courtney_Close

There is an existing topic and I have merged your request with it. Make sure to add your vote in!

1 Like

Task Templates are only half useful if they cannot be reused across projects and teams. Need company-wide templates to create consistency across all projects and portfolios and teams.

2 Likes

just a head up for this feature request. i see a lot of traction on this and it is open since feb 21 which is two years ago (!) @Asana_Admin-IT can you pls share an update?

Agreed, the ability to access a library of task templates across all projects would make them far more useful! As it is, the usefulness of task templates is severely limited.

3 Likes

@anon76810009 , to add to your comment, this becomes an even bigger problem if you need to update the task template (e.g. add a new custom field, change a default value) because now there can be dozens of instances of the task template across many projects. You have to go in and update each template individually. ugh!

2 Likes

This feature would be really helpful. Currently taking too much time to repeat creating the same task templates we use with existing projects to new ones.

It his planned yet? Looks like 2 years of people requesting, and this is obviously an issue for many of us :frowning:

@anon29847152 Asana does not share their roadmap publicly.

Please add workspace/organization-wide task templates! It would also be very helpful to be able to use them inside project templates. And have all the instances of a task template updated when one instance is edited. That would be soooo nice!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this!