šŸ”¢ List of technical and data limitations in Asana

@Andrea_Mayer , @Arthur_BEGOU , you two are on :fire: Keep them coming :clap:

Iā€™m not sure what is more impressive; that Andrea reached 1000 comments in a task or that @Bastien_Siebman has over 300 tasks this month! :sweat_smile:

PS: 4.12 & 5.4 added

4 Likes

@Arthur_BEGOU , is it possible for you to easily recreate this limit within a Portfolio to test whether this also applies to Workload within a Portfolio (not just Universal Reporting)? Cheers :wink:

Hi @Richard_Sather

Iā€™ve tested it, and indeed, the same limit applies with ā€œWorkload within a Portfolioā€.

1 Like

Thanks @Arthur_BEGOU :+1:

5.4 updated :wink:

1 Like

Updates to:
:exclamation: 1.3. Limit of 100 custom fields within a single project
:exclamation: 1.4. Limit of 100 custom fields within a single portfolio
:exclamation: 1.5. Limit of 100+ (?) custom fields within a single task (under review)
:exclamation: 5.3. Limit of 100 custom fields within a single portfolio

3 Likes

Hey @Richard_Sather

You might want to take a look at my comment there about limits of Bundles :wink:

2 Likes

Amazing list - I wish I saw this a few months ago when we started building our Asana instance. Thanks @Richard_Sather !!

Thanks @Bill_Manley , glad you have found it useful! :smiley:

As you can see, this post is turning into a community-built oneā€¦ it wouldnā€™t be soooo long without the help of my friends @pforumleader @ambforumleader

And thereā€™s more limitations coming soonā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

Hi @Richard_Sather, Iā€™d like to express my appreciation for this article. Exceedingly helpful indeed! Thank you for your work on it and for keeping it up-to-date.

1 Like

Thank you @David_Nelson , thatā€™s very kind of you!

1 Like

:arrow_up: Raised limits:

:exclamation: 4.1. Limit of 50 task templates within a single project (from 20 to 50)
:exclamation: 8.3. Limit of 10 sorts and 10 filters in List & Board view (from 10 combined to 10+10 each)

:star2: Newly added:

:exclamation: 4.13. Limit of 65,000 (approx.) characters in a taskā€™s description
Thanks @Andrea_Mayer

:white_check_mark: 13.1. Limit of 5 bundles added to a single project
:white_check_mark: 13.2. Limits of Custom fields, Rules and Task templates within a bundle
Thanks @Arthur_BEGOU for these two.

4 Likes

do you have an actual number?

Thanks for updating that list!

1 Like

Hi @Bastien_Siebman , as per notes above (too long to fit in the summary)

Is there a limit on how many people you can add to a single project? (other editors)

@Sarah_DeLena, I donā€™t think so.

Larry

:exclamation: 8.4. Limit of 12 tabs of saved views in projects
No reference currently in the guide, but confirmed in the forum here.
:bulb: You can add a total of 12 tabs of the same type; i.e. you can have up to 12 List views if you remove all other tabs such as Overview, Board, Timeline etc.

3 Likes

Any news regarding this?

:arrow_heading_up: Updated limit:

• :white_check_mark: 1.5. Limit of 60 custom fields displayed within a single taskā€™s task pane

@Bastien_Siebman , thanks for the nudgeā€¦ Iā€™ve been meaning to look into this. :sweat_smile:

Iā€™ve slightly rephrased the limitation because it seems a task can be multi-homed into numerous projects with 100 CFs each (I reached 500 CFs in total, seemed like it could keep on goingā€¦), however only 60 CFs will be displayed within the taskā€™s task pane, thus the limit. See details above in the updated OP. :point_up:

2 Likes

Limit of 20 subtasks that can be created under a task using rules. Would be extremely helpful to bring the subtask limit to be on par with a task template.

2 Likes

Hi @Lucho_Soto , thank you for noting this and contributing to this post! As suchā€¦

• :white_check_mark: 2.4. Limit of 20 subtasks within ā€˜Create subtasksā€™ rule (also referred to in 4.14)
    :bulb: Interestingly enough, there does not appear to be a limitation on how many subtasks can be added within these 20 subtasks. I reached 51 subtasks and stopped testing - this appears to be limitless, similar to subtasks within Task templates, refer to 4.1 below.

:arrow_heading_up: Updated notes:

• :exclamation: 4.1. Limit of 50 task templates within a single project
    :bulb: There also appears to be no limit of subtasks within a task template. I reached 51 and stopped testing.
2 Likes