🔢 List of technical and data limitations in Asana

:arrow_up: Raised limits:

:exclamation: 4.1. Limit of 50 task templates within a single project (from 20 to 50)
:exclamation: 8.3. Limit of 10 sorts and 10 filters in List & Board view (from 10 combined to 10+10 each)

:star2: Newly added:

:exclamation: 4.13. Limit of 65,000 (approx.) characters in a task’s description
Thanks @Andrea_Mayer

:white_check_mark: 13.1. Limit of 5 bundles added to a single project
:white_check_mark: 13.2. Limits of Custom fields, Rules and Task templates within a bundle
Thanks @Arthur_BEGOU for these two.

4 Likes

do you have an actual number?

Thanks for updating that list!

1 Like

Hi @Bastien_Siebman , as per notes above (too long to fit in the summary)

Is there a limit on how many people you can add to a single project? (other editors)

@Sarah_DeLena, I don’t think so.

Larry

:exclamation: 8.4. Limit of 12 tabs of saved views in projects
No reference currently in the guide, but confirmed in the forum here.
:bulb: You can add a total of 12 tabs of the same type; i.e. you can have up to 12 List views if you remove all other tabs such as Overview, Board, Timeline etc.

3 Likes

Any news regarding this?

:arrow_heading_up: Updated limit:

• :white_check_mark: 1.5. Limit of 60 custom fields displayed within a single task’s task pane

@Bastien_Siebman , thanks for the nudge… I’ve been meaning to look into this. :sweat_smile:

I’ve slightly rephrased the limitation because it seems a task can be multi-homed into numerous projects with 100 CFs each (I reached 500 CFs in total, seemed like it could keep on going…), however only 60 CFs will be displayed within the task’s task pane, thus the limit. See details above in the updated OP. :point_up:

2 Likes

Limit of 20 subtasks that can be created under a task using rules. Would be extremely helpful to bring the subtask limit to be on par with a task template.

2 Likes

Hi @Lucho_Soto , thank you for noting this and contributing to this post! As such…

• :white_check_mark: 2.4. Limit of 20 subtasks within ‘Create subtasks’ rule (also referred to in 4.14)
    :bulb: Interestingly enough, there does not appear to be a limitation on how many subtasks can be added within these 20 subtasks. I reached 51 subtasks and stopped testing - this appears to be limitless, similar to subtasks within Task templates, refer to 4.1 below.

:arrow_heading_up: Updated notes:

• :exclamation: 4.1. Limit of 50 task templates within a single project
    :bulb: There also appears to be no limit of subtasks within a task template. I reached 51 and stopped testing.
2 Likes

Hey @Richard_Sather,

For section 2 (Rules), you might want to re-label that as “Classic rule builder” and add these limits for the new rule builder:

• 50 rules per project
  • 50 total components per rule (where “component” means a trigger, a condition, or an action)
  • 20 triggers per rule
  • 5 actions per rule
  • 5 branches per rule
  • 20 conditions per branch (or per “block”)
2 Likes

• :exclamation: 2.5. Limit of 50 total ‘components’ per custom rule
    Where a ‘component’ is regarded either as a trigger, a condition or an action.
    No reference currently in the guide but confirmed by @Phil_Seeman above.
    :zap: This limit is applicable to the New Rule Builder only.

• :exclamation: 2.6. Limit of 5 branches per custom rule

• :exclamation: 2.7. Limit of 20 conditions per branch (or per ‘block’) within a custom rule

• :exclamation: 4.15. Limit of 50 subtasks visible in Timeline view (referred to also in 8.6)
    No reference currently in the guide. Thanks to @KimberlyAnn_DiCredic for raising this here.
    Only the first 50 subtasks will be visible, in the same order as they are in the Task’s details pane. If you apply the filter in Timeline to ‘Incomplete tasks’ then the first 50 incomplete subtasks will be visible and if you complete one of those first 50 subtasks, then the 51st subtask will appear at the bottom of the expand list, and so on.

• :exclamation: 8.5. Limit of 10 filters in My Tasks
    No reference currently in the guide but confirmed in the forum here.

• :exclamation: 8.7. Limit of 20 tabs open in the Desktop App
    No reference currently in the guide but confirmed in the forum here.
    Note, this is currently undergoing an A/B test, so it may not be currently available to all users.

3 Likes

• :exclamation: 3.4. Limit of 75MB total for multiple attachments to a form submission
    No reference currently in the guide but confirmed in the forum
2 Likes

Do we know how many levels of portfolios we can nest?
(asking for my client Anais)

Not sure what the hard limit is @Bastien_Siebman, but with a quick test I got to 15 levels without a problem. That should be enough levels for anyone, right? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That should be enough :rofl:

1 Like

• :exclamation: 1.6. Limit of 20 people in a People-type field
    No reference currently in the guide but tried and tested - only 20 people can be added as values into a people type field. Refer to 8.9 below regarding filtering a people-type field.

• :white_check_mark: 1.7. Limit of 10 existing formula custom fields as inputs to a new formula
    :bookmark_tabs: Asana Guide link and noted in the forum here.

• :white_check_mark: 1.8. Limit of 2 layers of Formula chains as inputs to a new formula
    :bookmark_tabs: Asana Guide link and noted in the forum here.

• :white_check_mark: 5.5. Limit of 12 milestones displayed in Portfolio List view
    :bookmark_tabs: Asana Guide link
    Regardless of how wide you make the ‘Milestones’ column in a Portfolio’s list view (when ‘Progress type’ is set to ‘Milestones’ instead of ‘Task’), it will not show more than 12 milestones, even if the relevant project has more.

• :exclamation: 8.8. Limit of 5 people in Filter by Assignee in a project
    No reference currently in the guide but discovered in the forum here. Thanks @Arthur_BEGOU for raising this!

• :exclamation: 8.9. Limit of 20 people in Filter by People-type field in a project
    Strangely enough, unlike 8.8 above, when you filter a project by a People field the limit is actually 20. No reference currently in the guide - simply tried and tested.

• :white_check_mark: 12.3 Limit of 100 tasks connected to a Goal’s progress
    :bookmark_tabs: Asana Guide link and mentioned in the forum here.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this hard work!

2 Likes

@Richard_Sather has built nothing else than the Library of Alexandria for Asana technical limitations ‎‎‎‏‏‎ :grin: :books:

2 Likes

Ahahah! Thanks guys, couldn’t have done it without your help and support :heart:
Let’s keep it up :muscle:

2 Likes