Limit to number of dependents/dependencies?

Is there a maximum number of dependent tasks that can be defined for a given task, and/or a maximum number of dependencies that can exist for a given task?

(Hmmmm @Marie, I can’t seem to find that documentation page of all Asana limitations/maximums… :wink: )

2 Likes

I have the same question. Please advise. :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI I’ve gotten an answer on this question from my contacts at Asana:

A task can have at most 15 dependencies and at most 15 dependents.

@Natalia - why is there a limit of 15 dependencies in the first place? We would like to have more.

1 Like

One correction to the above - according to some newly-added documentation, the limits actually are:

A task can have at most 15 dependencies and at most 30 dependents.

We would also like to be able to add more, I now have to string together dependencies that do not make logical sense but are required by this limitation.

I got round this by creating milestones for logical groups of tasks and then making dependencies on those milestones.

e.g. if you have a task X that is dependent on 30 tasks, group those tasks into groups of 5-10 say setting a milestone dependent on the tasks in that group. Then set task X dependent on each of those milestones.

1 Like

Seriously still a dependency limit!!! The workaround is not great - why have two milestones when there is only 1!

We need an update asap.

Thanks @Phil_Seeman. I just hit the 15 limit too. Does anyone know if there is work ongoing here or if this is something we can vote for on another thread?

1 Like

Hi @Wes,

I’m not aware of anything in progress to change the limit, but Asana doesn’t pre-announce changes so it wouldn’t be public anyway.

I don’t think there’s a topic in the Product Feedback section to vote on increasing the limit - you should start one!

1 Like

The weird thing is that this limitation is only for API requests. I definitely can create more than 15 dependencies in the App. Why?

The limits are inconsistently enforced. The API will enforce limits of 15 dependencies and 30 dependents; other parts of the web app only enforce the 15 dependencies limit and allow unlimited dependent tasks; then there are other parts that enforce 15 for both. Go figure.

The Asana folks are aware of the inconsistencies, but I don’t know if or when they might plan on cleaning it up.

Is this issue still unresolved?

We have the same issue - the limitation on number of dependencies is a problem. Hoping the limit gets increased soon.

1 Like

I’m closing this topic; for a more recent discussion on it, as well as the ability to vote to increase the dependency limit, see: