Let Us Sort Projects Manually in Sidebar

Hi,

I was wondering how you all get an list of all the projects your are the owner off. I might be missing something, but i can’t seem to find an automatic way of getting a list of projects that i am the owner of?

One way would be to add my projects to my dashboard, but 1) i manage a “company” dashboard from my dashboard, so that is not an option and 2) that is a bit manual, since you have to add projects by your self.

Does anybody have a smart way off doing getting this list? What am i missing?

8 Likes

Hi @Peter_Skjoldager, my name is Todd and I’m a full-time consultant helping companies deploy and optimize Asana. What you brought up here is one of the top questions/complaints I get regarding project organization. (The other is being able to alphabetize the projects in the sidebar).

There isn’t a way to do this as it’s not a searchable field, and even if it were the search still doesn’t list out a bunch of matching projects…it allows you to select one project or view a bunch of tasks.

It seems the logical conclusion to remedy this if it were important enough is to add both a filter and sorting mechanism to the project sidebar. Basically things like:

• Sort alphabetically
  • Sort by project due date
  • Sort by project color code status
  • Filter by project owner
  • Filter by projects including tasks I’m assigned
  • And so on

Could potentially be a neat new feature someday.

Todd
projectmanagementpros.com

8 Likes

Another way to work around this would be to run an advanced search and under “Add Filter”, select “People” > “In projects owned by…” and then input “Me”. When you run this search, you could then sort by Project to see the groups of tasks under the projects you own. The only caveat is that it will show other projects if some of the tasks also live in projects not owned by you.

We’ll also capture this feedback in the “Product Feedback” category to pass along to the team for future improvements. Thanks!

3 Likes

+1 on this request. Would be really useful.

5 Likes

Additionally to the sidebar sorting it would be great to have a sorting filter on team pages for projects either in the tile or list views. Maybe the sort function affects both the side bar and the full screen. I have voted and am in favor of sorting.

I organize events and each project in Asana is a different event per week. It would be nice to not have to drag the newly created project into it’s proper due date within a large list of projects spanning months ahead of time :grin:

4 Likes

Firstly there should be a simple way to show all projects that I’m part of, without having to click through all the Teams that I’m in one by one and view the Projects in each one when I’m doing a weekly review and update.

• I don’t want to just see Recent Projects because I may miss one that’s not so recent.
  • I don’t want to rely on favourites either because that probably won’t include all of them.
  • I don’t want to have to put all the Projects into a Portfolio because that’s a static list and doesn’t update when new ones are added or removed.

I just want an All My Projects selection from the sidebar.

Also, if I set a Team as a favourite so that I can select from the sidebar, I get a list of all that team’s projects. However this view is different from the Portfolios view.
They should contain the same information (ie show the additional fields and be able to have its layout set as default. Especially needed is the missing Project Status information which is very important when doing a weekly review.
Please improve the Teams view of Projects to make it consistent with Portfolios.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us @Alex_Bailey1

I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with an existing thread we have regarding this topic. Please have a look at some of the workaround provided, specially the one provided by Kaitie: Sort project list in the sidebar - #3

I hope this helps Alex! Have a nice day!

Thanks Natalie,

Kaitie’s suggestion kind of works but it produces a massive list of all tasks and then you have to collapse the projects down to see them listed. The list can take a while to load in chunks if there are several hundred results like I have.

The Advanced Search criteria box could have a separate Projects tab next to the Tasks tab and then return just Projects records, That would be much more useful.

Regards,
Alex.

3 Likes

Can we please get the ability to sort the PROJECT list ALPHABETICALLY? This is a key part of Asana and normal workflow.

5 Likes

I second this! Our project list is getting very long and it’s very hard to find projects easily…how have others done this?

1 Like

Natalia, why is that after more than two years, this option has not been added to Asana?
It’s an obvious need and from a programmer’s perspective, it’s an easy back end fix.
As a new customer, who loves the IDEA of Asana, I will be looking into other companies to see if they are less like a beta project currently.

5 Likes

The sidebar redesign took away the ability to manually sort my project list in the sidebar. It also groups my projects into folders. The order of the projects is constantly changing, because the only two sort options are “Top projects” and "Recent projects.’ This is maddening.

I want the ability to choose how to sort and display my projects in the sidebar. The new layout does not work with how I use Asana. I don’t want them to be grouped in folders either. Please restore the ability to sort and group projects manually in the sidebar.

49 Likes

YES PLEASE - the new ASANA is not customizable

13 Likes

New asana with new side menu is a total useless tool.

I’m working on a large number of projects - every project have same importance.

Until now, the side menu allowed me to fast and simple switch between 50 projects, which I had sorted from A to Z. I could quickly go into each project, find it on the list, see what was going on there.

It was that for what Asana has been projected, yes? :slight_smile:

NOW? I to find my project xD I have to either:

• go into the teampage, where i have again 10 projfect and need to click “Show more” to expand the lists of projects for another 10. And again, and again… Then i have my 50 projects. And if i close tab i need to do it again…
  • remember the names of all 50 projects to use the search engine…
  • manualy add to all of them STAR to see them on main screen because they can’t be displayed otherwise. And my employes probably also need to star it - so many unmecessary work.

I have no idea why they are forcing us to use the new version without asking us if we need changes in sidebar. OFC moving it width is OK, but project organization? It looks like its only for person who has 2 projects in asana.

I paid for 12 months to use a good tool, and now all im part of beta testing with totaly carp UI UX sidebar which for me is main functionality in Asana.

In my opinion, the old menu was great. I could see all the projects, sort them A to Z (manually, but I can).

Now I have some useless blowout of a few recent or popular projects that are not useful for anything… Or i have star projects which need to be starred manualy xd and sorted A > Z again… WTF

20 Likes

So, you CAN move the projects but you NOW have to go to your TEAM, click on VIEW TEAM PAGE, and THEN move your projects around to work with them. They are NOT listed statically on the left sidebar except when as a recent viewed or favorite. PLEASE provide the option to change this back and make the redesign optional!

12 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. I sent ‘feedback’ about the new sidebar to asana. I have to take more steps to see all of my projects and/or see archived ones. The sidebar organization was just fine the way it was.

I will say, the ability to widen the sidebar is a nice new feature, but it doesn’t help one bit if I can’t see all of my projects in the sidebar.

Melissa

12 Likes

Vote It UP please. Maybe they gonna see it… They told me that they are working on new colors right now xddddd

9 Likes

Btw. I just do not understand, Why this list can’t be listed under the "Suprime.pl’ team name? And i need to click “>” and open it on small widget… Why its better?

3 Likes

Hi,
The new sidebar redesign messed up my perfect projects layout and now I can’t rearrange them in the specific order I want them. Only Top or Recent projects are options. Also it only shows 10 projects at a time.

I have for now added all my projects to starred section in the right order but it would be great to have more customisation options in the sidebar:

• Drag and drop projects in the order you want
  • More sort options (alphabetically etc.)
  • Ability to see more projects than ten in the Projects section
  • Categorising projects (Slack sidebar is a really good example of this)

Basically now I have moved all my projects to starred and I don’t use the Projects section anymore. I guess this is not the intent with the sidebar changes, right? :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Hi,
The new sidebar redesign messed up my perfect projects layout and now I can’t rearrange them in the specific order I want them. Only Top or Recent projects are options. Also it only shows 10 projects at a time.

I have for now added all my projects to starred section in the right order but it would be great to have more customisation options in the sidebar:

• Drag and drop projects in the order you want
  • More sort options (alphabetically etc.)
  • Ability to see more projects than ten in the Projects section
  • Categorising projects (Slack sidebar is a really good example of this)

Basically now I have moved all my projects to starred and I don’t use the Projects section anymore. I guess this is not the intent with the sidebar changes, right? :slight_smile:

10 Likes