Let Us Sort Projects Manually in Sidebar

This is the stupidest update the have ever made. My entire workflow is ruined. At least give us options to view all project at once. Not hard ASANA. A VERY unhappy customer over here.

23 Likes

I must admit. I’m much happier now than I was a few minutes ago. I am a long time advocate for Asana in our organization and despite the fact that there are a few tweaks we have to make to the system good for workflow, I’ve been happy with the design decisions they’ve made.

However, this last UX change feels almost aggressive. As if you don’t want us using Asana “wrong.”

The idea that a manager would never have a reason to look at All the active projects, or in fact, perhaps most importantly “neglected” projects is thick headed. Now ASANA decides rather than the manager who is employed for this purpose which projects were most important is just obnoxious.

So I figured out where to find all of MY PROJECTS that ASANA chose to bury-kill-whatever Log in - Asana (yeah, you tried to make sure there was no place to find them, but there they are!)

And I’ve added them ALL to favorites, so that I can track ALL my projects again (and sort them too). Yeah, it’s a little petty of me perhaps to want control of my own Asana workspace back. But I feel like there is someone in the project development team who thinks he knows my job better than I do, and in some small way I just stuck my finger in his/her eye.

You guys really screwed up this one. But at least I figured out how to break your broken UX.

13 Likes

I’m happy i’m not the only one xD who do not like this new changes

9 Likes

I think they did this so we would pay for “portfolios” - they purposefully broke this

4 Likes

The “flyout panel” to view projects within teams is a major disappointment. Losing the option to expand, collapse and organize is extremely frustrating. Asana had been near perfect for so long. Please make it an option to go back to the old way…

6 Likes

The only options for projects is “top” and “recent” - I need the ability to sort projects! :frowning:

5 Likes

Hi @Shelley_Tomich
Could you please give me some more information? Even a screenshot could help.

Hi @Shelley_Tomich , I’ve moved your post into this existing thread which you can vote on (purple button at the top of this thread).

I believe @Shelley_Tomich means this:

A simple fix that accommodates all users and keeps the existing redesign would be to add “All Projects” to this selection, and letting them be manually sorted from there (bonus points if another option was included for “All Projects by Team”)

5 Likes

I agree. I am very disappointed with this update and not being in control of my projects and how to access them. At least give us a third option to sort them manually.

3 Likes

This was a TERRIBLE redesign. The project bundling seriously impacts workflow. Why can’t we have an option just to see all projects in the sidebar. It shouldn’t be a three step process to get to all the projects. This new form is bad for workflow and bad for asana users.

12 Likes

Adding my voice to the chorus (after providing additional feedback). Losing a scannable view of all un-archived projects across many teams — in my case, each a different client — is as near to a deal-breaker as I’ve ever come with Asana. Most of the redesign is good, and I’m all for advancements, but a flyout is simply not as useful as a drop-down list and few things are worse than UI that requires you to click here-there-and-everywhere to do what should be intuitive.

The teams still appear in a list. The things in the teams should also appear as a list.

What a pity.

10 Likes

The update has been pushed to our Asana last week and we are panicking. The new sidebar doesn’t work for us. We need to be able to see ALL the projects in a team WITHIN the sidebar. I know I can click and scroll but I need to scroll down every time I click on the arrow. If I want to skip from one project to the other, I can’t to it efficiently.

We reviewed all of our production flow last mont. We spend hours figuring it out, based on the fact that we can see all the projects within the sidebar. How can we go back to the old version?

I can’t agree that it increase clarity since every user can chose individually what team they want to extend or not.

11 Likes

hey asana,
this needs to be fixed. what’s the status of this issue? the sidebar needs to have an ‘all projects’ option (only have ‘top’ and ‘recent’ at the moment,) AND we need to be able to manually sort (drag and drop) our projects.

If organization and workflow is your jam, then this is KEY. I shouldn’t have to take 10 steps to see every active project AND that list be in whatever you deem it to be. I need to be able to control how they are listed and see them all.

Please, for the love of god, change the side bar back. I am begging you. My ADD brain cannot take this change.

Melissa

9 Likes

If this does not change, our company will leave ASANA.

As @Chopper_Dave said, a simple solution would be to add “All Projects” to the sorting options.

5 Likes

Halllo ASANA GUYS, any1 will answer?

1 Like

Who MARKED THIS TOPIS AS TOPIC WITH SOLUTION XDDD?

2 Likes

I can’t believe the stupidity of this “redesign”. They have removed the most basic functionality. An absolutely idiotic redesign. I can’t believe this even passed testing. I am assuming they do not test with actual people before the launch a new feature. I filled out the feedback form, as I do every day. I am going to ask for a job at Asana so I can make design changes. My first job would be to remove the search bar, then the home screen. Then I will remove being able to type or click in Asana at all. Ill be the star employee!

9 Likes

That’s not stupid - they added project view as list in portfolio module in Business plan ;). So if you want project list you need to pay twice more for every user.

Outstanding move for cash ^^.

To be honest can someone share a good alternative for Asana :)?

4 Likes

Ok, for everyone in this thread suffering as I have been since this awful design change, I have taken time out of my busy schedule to reorganize my view back to the way it was. This took some time because I am managing over 25 projects at the moment, but my ADD brain is now a happier…still miffed that I had to do this, but alas happier. @David_Dickens mentioned this work around in his post above, so I decided to try it. Since it was successful, I thought it would be useful to post the steps here.

First, the only way to see your entire project list to include archived projects is to follow this link Show All Projects on Web which will take you to the web version of Asana. (Thank you @David_Dickens for providing this illusive link in your post above.) I couldn’t find a way to show all project with the desktop app since the search bar doesn’t seem to allow a blank entry to display all.

Second, you will need to click and open each project, then click the ‘star’ icon next to the project name to make it a ‘Starred’ project or favorite. You will now see on both the web and the desktop app a new section in the sidebar called ‘Starred.’ Once you have added at least 2 projects to your ‘starred’ list, you will be able to manually drag and drop your projects in the order your choose.

Third, take the time to open and star each of your projects. Drag and drop them in the ‘Starred’ section in the sidebar to your desired order.

It’s easier to do this using on the web because of the link to view all projects. Just star them and then hit the back button on your browser to return to the project list.

And…hey Asana…if you’re listening…this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t fix this issue because we’ve found a work around. Please restore the sidebar as we have all been requesting. Thank you.

Melissa

25 Likes