Bigger Sidebar or Ability to open a wide view

Hey there,

I would love to have the ability to see the sidebar bigger than it is at the moment. Our projects have long names and currently we barely see the first few words.

It will be great to be able to toggle on or off a wider view.

Ivan

11 Likes

Hi @IvanStaykov, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

You are right, it’s currently not possible to change the size of the sidebar and I understand how this can be useful for your workflow! I’ve sent your request internally and I’ll make sure to send you any updates I have about this feature.

Thanks again!

4 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

I would REALLY like to be able to resize the black menu bar on the left hand side (Home, My Task, Inbox Etc) to made it wider.

At the moment it has a fixed width which tends to crop off any project titles which is longer than around 20 characters which isn’t enough if you are running lots of projects with similar titles.

2 Likes

Hi @Tom_Bailey, welcome to the Asana Community Forum and thanks for your feedback! As it stands, it’s currently not possible to expand the left sidebar. We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to centralize feedback.

1 Like

Thanks. Any news on a timeline on this?

1 Like

We don’t have immediate plans to implement this feature, @Tom_Bailey. But I’ll update this thread as soon as I have any updates!

Our engineering team has created dozens of projects. These are impossible to see due to the limited space on the black, left-hand list of projects. Do you have any idea how frustrating your product is to use?

9 Likes

Please do note that the sidebar is ultimately (at least in my opinion) for shortcuts. If you want an easy view of all the projects your team has created, simply click on or open the team itself and you’ll see an overview of the team, including the complete list of projects, which can be viewed as a list or tiles. If you know the project name, the advanced search is there for easy access.

Perhaps you have some suggestions on how the sidebar can be further improved?

1 Like

Yes click click click. That is your advice. Simply click click click. Why didn’t I think of that? How about being able to widen the bar so I can read what is there? Or is Asana coded in FORTRAN with fixed length fields?

6 Likes

Hello, please we need this :sweat:

4 Likes

+1

Is there any way to make the menu on the left a bit wider? Sometimes the product names are a bit longer and it would be useful to be able to see the full project name, not just a part of it because the beginning is often similar. Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @anon62339966, great question!

It is not currently possible to adjust the width of the sidebar but I can certainly see how this would be useful!

I’ve gone ahead and moved your post to the #productfeedback category to give you and other Community members the opportunity to vote for this feature :slight_smile:

I’ll let you know if any changes are made here!

1 Like

Looking for this feature as well. Thanks

It’s a pretty common feature in many web UI’s to be able to adjust the width of sidebars or sub windows within the main window itself. gmail is a great example of this. I was SO excited to see the desktop app launch in HOPES that MAYBE… FINALLY, there would be some control over this. Sadly I am disappointed to see it as essentially just another web wrapper application.

I would LOVE to see this as it would drastically impact our teams ability to quickly navigate between projects across many teams.

3 Likes

I’m trialling your product and one thing that I am finding really frustrating is that the sidebar can’t be adjusted. Not all my project names are short enough to fit so I can’t see what all the projects I set up are called in the sidebar. Most people work on larger screens these days and there is HEAPS of room in the other two columns but then there is this teeny tiny little sidebar.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, @Lisa_Coulson! We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Bigger Sidebar or Ability to open a wide view to consolidate votes and comments.

This really is a hugely limiting problem. I’m working on large screens and the sidebar is ridiculously narrow - I can’t see the full names of any projects and as they often start with the team name - in the current view they are not distinguishable from each other. Please add this feature ASAP!

4 Likes

While there are many important links in the left navigation bar, I am continually frustrated by the small size of the Projects section! The Projects frame is constrained above by the permanent navigation links above (Home, My Tasks, Inbox, Reporting, Portfolio’s and goals) and constrained below by functional links (Invite Teammates and Help & Getting Started).

Maybe some of your younger users with keen eyesight can up the screen resolution, minimize the size of the fonts and icon spacing such that that bar seems huge. But for me, I’m lucky if I can get 8 lines in the scrolling Projects frame.

Honestly I wouldn’t really mind if I actually used the permanent links that I can’t hide/accordion/remove. But, I don’t use those links at all. Instead, I have to hover over the tiny projects frame and scroll to find the right project.

Please fix this. It’s driving me nuts.

Thank you for your time.

4 Likes