🗂 Learn 4 key use cases for leveraging Portfolios effectively in Asana

Hi everyone and welcome to a new “Asana in Practice” post!

In this video, I take a look at best practices & use cases for Portfolios.

1. Are you tired of constant status update meetings, just to monitor which work has already been completed and to discuss what is still blocking you and your project team?
  2. Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed with all the work happening around you and appear to be looking for a high level overview of your projects to identify risks?
  3. Or do you simply want to keep your stakeholders updated so everyone can see the progress and status of your important initiatives?

Then you should look into setting up Portfolios within your organization, as they are the best way to organize, monitor, and report on multiple projects in one place. Check out the video to learn more about different use cases:

Here are some additional resources on Portfolios in Asana which might be helpful:

1. How to get started with Asana Portfolios
  2. Monitor initiatives and manage resources
  3. Asana Workload - Manage Team Capacity and Rebalance Work

It would be super interesting to see which other use cases for portfolios you and your team have implemented or if there is a specific use case which was helpful for you!

We are looking forward to hearing from you in the comment section below!

6 Likes

Hey there! Do these videos exist outside of the forum if I wanted to share with team members?

Hi @Melissa_Dowell, thanks for reaching out! Glad to hear that you’d like to share these further among your team. We only have these videos living in the forum for now so that we can use this as a space where individuals can collaborate and ask questions.

What were you thinking as a use case? An idea that I have for you could be to add reference tasks in Asana to each of the videos here that may be relevant for your team and these could be multi-homed (ie linked between multiple projects) between different relevant resources (Maybe a ‘How to Asana’ project etc)? How does this sound to you? :smiley:

1 Like

This was very helpful. Thank you. I’m a brand new user and onboarding team members soon. My example of a Portfolio is tracking 10 different insurance policy renewals and the tasks that go with each of them. I thought about using one task list for all policies, as many have the same “to do’s,” but decided on a project for each insurance policy. Am I on the right track?

Hi @Peggy_Findley, I’m glad to hear that this video was helpful for you as you embark on onboarding your team members onto Asana!

Great question - and definitely a common one around when it’s best to create a task and when it’s best to create a project. I would say there are a couple of things to consider here:

• Are there more than 10 tasks that need to be actioned for each insurance policy renewal?
  • Would it be helpful to categorise the different actions needed into sections?

If the answer to these two questions is yes, then I would recommend creating a project for each (and using a template that automatically adds them into the appropriate portfolio). If not, feel free to leverage one project with task templates within that.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can clarify anything!

1 Like

We learned much more with your video, Thanks for every steps

1 Like