Introducing our new Spreadsheet-Inspired List View!

I seldom if ever login to post here.
I’ve actually read every post and liked the ones that already expressed most of what I think and feel right now.

It would be really good to give users a time to get used to be views as you debug them, it’s one thing to transfer a truck’s cargo in a parking lot and it’s an entirely other to do it cruise speed on a freeway. (A lot of us are using Asana as a daily productivity tool, and it is one thing to get used to a change gradually and have time to transfer skills and it is an entirely different one to have to do it in the most hectic part of a project as I’m sure happened for a lot of users)

Asana team could have even gained powerful insight by allowing people to switch back gradually:
For example put a comment box on why a user is switching back to allow feedback on why (I realize that generates a lot of work of actually having to read the feedback.
Put a future Target date for the change to become permanent if it is an issue to support 2 views.

Asana started with the user more in mind, but as I see the volume or something is causing it to put their own priorities far too above the ones of their users.

This subtle change is concerning.

I had confidently recommended Asana to a lot of my clients but this really reduces my confidence. There are some of my clients to whom sudden changes like this would be too shocking.

8 Likes

My biggest issues:
I have to go now through literally dozens (if not hundreds of projects) enabling columns that are critical to our workflow.
I’ve tried saving as default but that doesn’t apply to viewing other projects with the same columns.

It is a bit trickier to get to the details of the task now.

It is harder to consume the information (not just because of being unfamiliar with the new view)
There was a perfectly good reason the other view was successful it channeled the focus better to the middle section and the spacing was much more friendly on the eyes.

Asana has had no issues introducing other views I never use, why not make the old one an option on the top specially if there are so many people who still prefer it?

I’m sure we (the few that managed to be able to find this forum) are not the only ones who dislike this forced abrupt change from a very stable, tested and familiar interface to an unstable, buggy, still not fully developed according to the users need, unfamiliar interface.

5 Likes

Clearly, an odd one out in this particular thread but I love the new UI updates. being able to control what data we see in the list view rather than having all tags and additional projects showing all the time (really cluttered up the screen) is so much better. Making the setup different between projects rather than global is also flexability that allows each project or team to work in a way that best suits them. Switching between List and Kaban views seamlessly is awesome. List view is great for big picture overview of our larger, busy projects but when I am trying to actually focus on work the options to separate and sort work in the Kaban view is way better.

I think a heads up to allow folks to opt-out of specific early releases (or try and go back) would be an improved approach for sure. It would also allow folks to feel more like they got a heads up on what is coming.

I could do without the visual lines that make it feel spreadsheet-like for sure. I see plenty of those each day :slight_smile:

I don’t work on a large monitor though so I can’t speak at all to that experience.

A number of super valid concerns here about how things are released for sure. Overall one of the things I like about Asana and why we use it is preciously because it continues to evolve at a rapid pace, unlike many other tools we have worked with in the past.

6 Likes

@Matthew_Wolf - you can expand the column widths a bit though - I can see room for at least 3 tags - did you click on the menu arrow in tags and click expand? you can do that with all the columns!

1 Like

I HATE THIS UPDATE SO MUCH

We just moved from google sheets to asana just for the clean view. Now it’s upside down :rage: What a waste of money!

Asana is on the WRONG track, the spreadsheet view is completely inefficient for project management.

People can switch to google sheets at any time if someone wants a spreadsheet view. Having it in Asana is pointless.

We’re considering moving back if Asana decides to stick with this awful solution.

4 Likes

I agree. At first I didn’t like the aesthetic of it, but it now feels somehow LESS cluttered to me. I love seeing the icons noting if a task has comments or subtasks in it. That’s a big improvement for me.

We are a small team so I know we don’t have the complications that some others encounter, but a downside to being a small team is that it is hard to get them to implement new systems and man, do they ever want to hold onto Excel spreadsheets. This will help some of our people embrace Asana.

Hello!

Let the question about the new task view.

To open the right sidebar (task details), I should to click on details.

But when I add a new task, I can’t immediately go to details. Is there any hotkey?

It’s not convenient when you add a task and you can’t immediately go into the details.

Same thing with the date. If I press the usual Tab + D, the cursor hovers over the date column. But the date picker (calendar) is not displayed, those I have to click and select the date with the mouse.

Tab-Enter is the hotkey to open the task details pane.

You should be able to press Enter after pressing Tab-D to open the date picker. However, at that point I haven’t found a way to select the date without using the mouse.

1 Like

Tab-Enter is the hotkey to open the task details pane.

Thank you for the answer! That’s what I was looking for.

@Phil_Seeman I think the only way to input the due date without touching your mouse is to edit dd/mm/yyyy with your keyboard; the date picker can only be used with the mouse at the moment.

@Zhan_Mukataev, FYI you can also close the task details pane using the ESC key! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Zhan_Mukataev - in my experience as soon as I click inside a task in the ‘task name’ column it opens the detailed pane (you don’t actually have to click where it says details if it is a task already created)- then once that is open, if I don’t deliberately close that view, it remains that way for any other task I click on or if I create a new task, so I guess the solution is to create and open one task then leave it open.

An alternative to this is to use the + button in the righthand corner of the banner - choose task and add all the detail you want.

How do I delete sections with out deleting all my completed tasks? Before we could delete sections easily, but now have to choose between deleting all associated tasks or manually moving those tasks to a new section.

A common workflow at our company involves organizing tasks into 2-week blocks which each get their own section. Once all the tasks are completed and a 2-week block is finished, we’d like to continue simply deleting the old section (which no-longer contains any incompleted tasks).

6 Likes

We have the exact same topic as JTB. The high-level planning (sprint planning, roadmap planning) was relying on sections. We would add new ones (e.g., 2020 Q2) and close the ones in the past or when all tasks in a section are completed.

Since board/list switch has been released (a feature that is great, btw), we wonder how to re-organize our processes. That was, btw, also the reason why we never used the board view for this projects before … it was not possible to hide/close columns with task in it.

1 Like

Hi Marie

I’m really not a fan of the new list view, and clearly there are many others here that also don’t like it. Asana asked for 1:1 feedback, which I happily provided in detail, but one suggestion above all that I’d like to repeat here is simply to make this new List View an option as well as the current view which I far prefer. There already are other optional views, and since there are so many people who are really unhappy about this new view, why not make this new list view an option as well?

Have a great weekend.

Phil

8 Likes

This new extra test box in each row sucks. Before, IIRC, I could click anywhere on the whole row and start editing the caption. Another detail (not related to the grid view): Adding section used to work with the colon, why did you remove this? Now there’s a keyboard shortcut, but it always add captions at the bottom, not the current row. Find that annoying

10 Likes

I’m clearly an outlier as well, but I’m quite excited by the new grid format…it works very nicely for our type of projects. I was as surprised as everyone by the roll-out, and understand the associated concerns. Having an opt-in, opt-out choice seems an easy solution. I like Tanner’s suggestions 1 and 2, and share the concerns about Sections. Being able to format custom fields to a greater degree ( like Excel, ie, Currency, number, etc. ) would also be helpful. I’m hopeful this is part of bigger and better things from Asana.

1 Like

Really, really don’t like this new format.

• Much, much too wide. There’s a reason most websites’ containers are 1400px~ or similar. There’s a massive disconnect between what’s on the left in the task name and what’s in the fields on the right. Like, it’s genuinely awful.
  • Clicking on a section does, well, what now? Before it highlighted and selected it, allowing for me to then press Enter to make a task within that section
  • … speaking of, how on earth am I supposed to make a task within a section?
  • What happened to the ability to make a section from within the task list? Tab+N (an unintuitive shortcut, btw) is not the same as the ease of the previous #Section Name method.
  • The other colleagues who’ve had this rolled out to them have been really confused about the immense amount of white space.
13 Likes

So have this update for about a week.

Now I predominantly work out of My Task view. So project List View is not something I predominantly work in.

Yes I prefer it over the previous, I feel like I have more control over what I see, tags, custom fields, projects etc.

Really like the Sub Tasks detail this has been really beneficial for My Meetings task I now know easily how many actions are associated. I also feel that I can now create Subtasks off an action Task without feeling like I am going to lose or forget something with assigning it to me and putting a date on it.

Yes this has changed my workflow both bad and good. Just need to work through it and make it work best for me.

Looking forward to seeing the next stages of this as Asana develops and reacts to not only their users feedback but also internally as they use Asana to run their growing and successful company.

Jason …

1 Like

@Jason_Woods, did you mean to post this in Introducing our new Spreadsheet-Inspired List View! - #138 by Ruth_Newnham ?

1 Like

Yep…

1 Like