Inbox filtering per team/project

I’ve been using Asana for a year now as our company is using it for everything. Got to say that this tool is near to perfect, except for the inbox feature. Being a projectmanager at our firm, I’m responsible for the work off 20+ projectmembers from at least 4 different project at a time. This means that my inbox is, at times, a feed of messages a human being simply cannot keep up with.

Therefore I’m suggesting to give the inbox a filter feature in which you can filter per team and/or per project. In my case, I would filter per team (which contains all projects for 1 client with all project members in our setup) and read up on all my notifications for that specific project. When done, change the filter to another team and read up again etc.

I’m guessing (and hoping) more people have this issue so this idea, in any form, will be implemented!

Perhaps there are already plans of some sort to enroll a feature like this?

11 Likes

This is important in order to keep focus of one project and to be able to fix the comment time on one project.

6 Likes

Hi @Sergej_Mordvin :wave: Thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

There is an existing thread requesting to filter the Inbox by project so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with it to avoid duplications. I hope it’s OK. Please, don’t forget to upvote it!

Have a great week Sergej! :smiley:

3 Likes

Any update on this? I have the exact same use case as I’m sure others at all levels of an organization. You have multiple projects going and you need to be able to focus on one project at a time. As mentioned, a team filter or team inbox would work as well.

This isn’t just a need for project managers but for anyone in leadership as well trying to move the ball forward on many fronts in their organization.

Is there any timeframe for this feature being implemented?

7 Likes

I wrote a similar post and some comments me too.
I hope a day Asana will listen to us :wink:

4 Likes

Absolutely, being able to filter by project and or tema would be awesome.
As a Project Manager this would ease up my day checking up the progress of all the different projects I am managing :smiley:

5 Likes

Filtering by project & team would be great! I wonder - would there be a way to filter for multiple projects at once? Or would we need to filter for one, and then another, and then another? It’d be better if I could add a few projects to my filter and also be able to save that as my default view.

Even better would be inboxes on the projects themselves (for any related tasks, conversations, and project updates) and on the teams (for any related tasks, conversations, and project updates on any projects within the team.)

The idea I’m trying to convey is that If a notification was read in a project, then it would not show up on the team or in the general inbox list. If it was read in a different project (because the task was multi-homed), then it wouldn’t show up in other projects once it was read. If it was read in a project inbox or in a team inbox, then it wouldn’t show up in the general inbox.

This would be a game changer. It would allow people to work where their work is (in the project) and to prioritize work and respond quickly on the work they’re thinking about without being distracted by all the noise in the inbox.

I’m thinking about workflow for my team who is using Asana. If a user is working in a project and they can glance up to see the little orange dot on a project inbox, and then they immediately read that message & respond, it will be much more efficient (and much saner!!) than a user clicking into the main Asana inbox (now they’ve left their project and their eyes/brain have already seen whatever was on top in there and now they’re interrupted/distracted) and to filter for the project they’re currently thinking about.

If they stay in the project and there are inboxes on projects (and on teams, and in general - so nothing gets lost, but there is a funnel of priority) then they have absolute control over what messaging they’re reading first. They can create projects and multi-home tasks that they want to follow (not the tasks that they are randomly @'d on, which would just be in their general inbox) and prioritize their work.

If this existed, then I could always go to projects, both for work & for messaging. This would allow me to prioritize projects, which is the most important lever for prioritization. If my project work is on track & my project messaging up to date, then I could come up to the main inbox to read what’s there, and it would be fine as a chat feature. Nothing would be lost, but I would be able to prioritize and able to stay focused on the most important work in front of me.

I’m very grateful for the inbox filter (@Marie - thank you for that!!) and it has made life easier. However, even with the current inbox sort function, people can’t skim, filter further, or prioritize what messages they are reading. I hear all the time about people staying up well past midnight just to read their inboxes. This does not help them get their work done, but they are worried that there are messages stuck in their inboxes that are relevant to their work, so they are combing through all the messages.

Right now in my organization projects & tasks are signal, while inbox is noise (even with the inbox filtering). I am encouraging people to work out of their projects and tasks, but they are still (very understandably) staying up all hours of the night trying to make sure they didn’t miss anything crucial in all the inbox noise and trying to be responsive to everything that’s in there, since there is no practical way for them to prioritize response on priority projects.

@Marie - what I’m suggesting here is similar to inbox filtering per team/project, but not exactly the same. Do you know if there’s another thread somewhere about having inboxes on projects or on teams? If so, could you direct me there? I’d like to add a vote.

7 Likes

It’s been years that I’m asking for inbox “filtering by project”. I was also selected as “filters” beta tester before the general rollout, and I gave detailed feedback on it. But my voice has always been ignored. I cannot understand how such a straightforward feature is still so hard to be understood from Asana team and we are still here struggling with this feature request upvote system.

6 Likes

Hi Asana, thanks for the great tips in the post

But I’m checking that you don’t still care about the need to filter “inbox” by team/project, to really use that important page as the greatest place to organize our works.

And so… many of us are still forced to use fu**ed email ;(

5 Likes

Hi,

Great to see the announcement today about the improved inbox features. Great to see especially that it’s clearer now that “new activity” is since you’ve last opened a task. It’s a step in the right direction in making inbox more usable for managers that manage multiple teams but still is marorily lacking this feature of filtering by team/project.

I wanted to add additional context in case it was helpful for the Asana team to understand why this feature is important.

As a director at a startup I manage multiple teams and projects a week. And a lot of managing those projects is providing feedback on things my teams are working on. As a result, inbox is one of my most frequently used pages in asana. Most days I probably collaborate or provide feedback on 10x as many tasks as I actively am working on myself.

In doing this I find it very difficult to have the full context of the project when im replying to a comment. Because all of the other comments that are happening on tasks that are related to that project might be buried in the inbox below some comments from another project. This leads a poor experience for my team as sometimes I’ll ask questions or provide feedback on a new way to take something and they’ve already started working on that on another task.

Additionally, sometimes I only have a short period of time to jump in and work on things and I would like to be able to just focus on the highest priority project that im checking the inbox feed for.

Inbox has made a lot of improvements over the years but has a lot of shortfalls when its used by managers specifically. That may be why this feature has lower upvotes than other product feedback but thats just because there are fewer managers per team, in my opinion.

I hope this can be a higher priority going forward for the asana development team or an update can be provided from the Asana team soon on if this is being considered.

6 Likes

This. x1000.

My company has two main “teams” with one to two dozen “projects” actively in progress in each. The former includes clients, the latter just employees.

I love the inbox and the newer filter features, but I have been regularly looking for & testing alternative platforms because of the huge stress notifications put on me.

The current inbox requires you to jump between projects constantly, never getting into a flow, whereas a filter would allow you to actually focus on a single project at a time. It’s debilitating.

4 Likes

For me, it’s sad to have to justify such a fundamental feature. Asana is marketing itself as a game-changer letting you skip out emails, but the reality is that email is still the only way to have this kind of context.

4 Likes

Totally agree with @Lauren_Gray. Notifications in Asana inbox without filtering by teams is one of the most stress-inducing parts of my day. Asana please take our feedback seriously as this is something that really puts a strain on entrepreneurial teams.

@Natalia do you have any update on the status of this request?

4 Likes

It would be very helpful to be able to remove the “All” filter from my inbox. I don’t need notifications for every project that I’m not a part of.

2 Likes

Going through notifications one by one is tough when there are a lot of them, because I’m constantly context-switching in my mind. It would be nice to group notifications by project and/or team (ideally both!) to understand the bigger picture of what’s been happening.

For an example, Slack does this really well if you use the “All unreads” feature. It groups all your messages together in one pane, but they are grouped by channel and you can minimize/maximize the groups.

4 Likes

I need the ability to filter inbox by Project as well. I struggle every week as I prepare for a 1:1 with a team member (to-do’s from our agenda we keep in Asana) to see what activity happened that I need to catch up on.
Further, it seems logical that Conversations in a Project should automatically summarize (reverse chronologically) comments and updates posted across tasks in a project.
It’s puzzling and frustrating that it’s not simple to see comments and updates summarized for a project.

7 Likes

Would really love an update from asana on if this will ever get into the product road map. Daily, I find that I’m frustrated by not having a project inbox.

4 Likes

I really don’t understand why ASANA can’t do this easy update.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/merlinox/status/1335871753847967744

2 Likes

I’d love it if you could filter not only by team/workspace, but by type of update (comment, status update, task being marked created/completed), or even project, and then save some of these as filters. The trouble with the Asana Inbox is that it’s in no way a replacement for the email inbox because you can’t really customize or filter what shows up and when.

Yes, I know I can specifically see those updates on things I assigned or our assigned to me or where I was ‘@’ mentioned, but I’d like more control over what appears here other than seeing every little update on everything I am a collaborator on.

3 Likes