How to prevent duplicate tasks from being created when sending an email to the same thread more than once?

Here’s an example:

1. I sent an email to x+12345@mail.asana.com with subject ‘I want to create a task’ cc’ing my colleage, Jane.
    Result: email is now created as a task within Asana

2. Jane now replies to the thread
    Result: New task created

For the result in step 2, instead of creating a new task, is it possible to have Jane’s note appear as a comment instead?

Our use case: Jane and I are in an IT support team. So whenever someone emails our team, a task is set up.

Current issue: We have a lot of duplicate tasks created due to the behaviour outlined in step 2.

Note: For step 2, it does not matter whether the Asana Project Email is in the cc: field (as opposed to being in just the to: field). A new task will still be created with the same subject line.

Hope this makes sense. Any feedback/help is most welcome.

Thanks,
JP

1 Like

Hi @jptech and welcome to the Forum :slight_smile:
I think this is happening because Jane is replying directly to your email in which x+12345@mail.asana.com is still CCed > this explains why a new task is created.

In order to create a comment from her inbox, Jane should enable her email notification and reply to the notification she receives from Asana to let her know you added her as a CC > By replying to this notification, she will create a comment on the task :slight_smile:

I’ve added an example of the notification email I’m referring to just below (note that the notification comes from “reply-d43793hifgirgfi@asana.com”, which is an email address you can reply to!). You can also have a look at this handy article from our Guide to learn how you can reply to notification and create content in Asana

1 Like

Hi @Marie, thanks for your quick reply!

I’ll advise our team members to use their notifications to respond. Appreciate the help.

Cheers,
JP

1 Like

You’re welcome @jptech :slight_smile: Let us know if we can help with anything else!

Hi,

Whenever I put comment in asana it created new duplicate task. Please let me know if there is any way around to avoid creating new duplicate task.

Thanks,
Neeru

Hi @Neeru_Singla and welcome to the Forum.

Are you adding a comment directly via Asana, or are you emailing it? Looking forward to your reply!

Hi Marie,

I am having the same issue at Neeru. Whenever someone responds to the email handle for a project in asana (via email), they create a new, duplicate task rather than adding to the existing task.

My team mostly uses Asana via email, is there a way to respond to the email handle without creating a new task? Let me know, thanks!

Meg