How do you diarise a task using Asana Premium?

I want to know if it’s possible for a task to pop up 3 days after the previous task has been completed.

E.g:

Task 1 completed today task 2 becomes visible in 3 days time.

Hi Jasmine,

Can you provide a little more information on what you are trying to accomplish with this workflow? For instance, do you want to make sure the task is not created for 3 days, or are you OK with it being created but you dont want it assigned until 3 days later? I think I can help you develop a workable solution if I can have a little more information on the workflow you want.

Thanks!
Matt

1 Like

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the response!

The first option, we’d like to task to automatically be created after 3 days.

Thanks,
Jasmine

Hi Jasmine,

So there is no way to use rules to automatically create a new task in Asana natively. You can only create a subtask or create approval subtasks using rules so this means you’ll have to rely on other solutions. You can refer to @Bastien_Siebman’s post to find solutions that would help (“Create task” in “actions”) The Asana automation bible: all the triggers and actions from Asana, Zapier, Flowsana, Integromat & Automate

If you want an imperfect solution, you could use rules to create a subtask on the task when it is marked as completed (or using some other trigger if you don’t want the task marked complete). This would looks something like the following:

1. A key part of the task is completed and now you want to trigger a follow-on task

2. You edit the task to initiate a trigger of some kind (i.e. move the task to a specific section or change a custom field to a specific value on the task or mark task complete)

3. Your rule uses this trigger to create a sub-task on the task automatically that has a standard assignee and a due date for 3 days from the day the rule is triggered.

4. Your team completes the subtask according to the due date

This method would rely on your team monitoring and completing sub-tasks so it doesn’t exactly meet what you were asking but it would allow you to add in some automation to your workflow.

Another options is if you made the sub-task read something like “Create follow-up task using task template” then a 4th step to the above process could be for your team members to manually create a follow-up task using a task template that you have already created for that project.

This is the only way I can think of using native Asana to do what you are looking for (kind of) so hopefully this helps you out! If I can be of more help please post here and let me know.

Cheers,
Matt

1 Like