How do I export a large project with custom fields and subtasks into a CSV or spreadsheet

@Jeff_Schneider I see it now, but it was not available before yesterday. People on my team said it is not available on their end. How can we make it show up for everyone on my team?

My premium edition also does not show Sync to Google Sheets

@Jeff_Schneider thanks for the info!

I have 2 questions I hope you can help with.

1. I don’t see the export to google sheets option under my project.
  2. If I export to JSON i’m not sure how to plug it into Excel and the make a report that will give me all completed tasks in a project that can be filtered by custom fields and then for the tasks that are not completed I want to know a count of subtasks and which ones are completed.

Any tips or guidance would be highly appreciated.

I’m trying to get reporting standardized for the whole department and the goal would be to report on a per sprint level but roll up by quarter and the year.

Hey @Mihow,

I did some digging and you actually need to have Asana support manually add this integration to your domain (you must also be premium). You can have support add it by filling out this form. (cc: @keeeith, @James_Carl)

Another option is to see if any of the reporting apps will solve your use case.

You could also have a developer write a script to create your custom report via the Asana API. All of the data you need for your report is accessible through the API. (It’s also accessible via a saved advanced search in the product, though getting a count isn’t always perfectly seamless re: Simple task total report)

Cheers!
Jeff

2 Likes

What should I specifically ask on the form?

Ask for the integration to be turned on to allow projects to be exported and synced to Google Sheets.

To provide a bit more context, this is a one-way sync to Google Sheets. Changes in Asana will be reflected in the Sheet, but changes in the Sheet will not go back to Asana. A popular use case is doing calculations (beyond summing which can be done in the product) on custom field values.

2 Likes

This has changed my life! Thank you, @Jeff_Schneider!

Just as an additional bit of info, if anyone is looking to create a Power BI (desktop) report directly from a Google Sheet, here are the instructions (originally from: Solved: How to connect google sheet to Power BI - Page 2 - Microsoft Fabric Community)

1. Use Power BI desktop (this won’t work just on Power BI service you have to start on desktop).
2. Share Google Sheet and get link from sharing.
3. Paste Google Sheet shared link and it will end in something like “adfe/edit?usp=sharing”
4. Remove the /edit?usp=sharing off the url
5. then add export?format=xlsx&id= where the edit/? had previously started
6. then copy and paste the long id from the first part of your url
7. the long, final URL you should use for Power BI get from web will be something like:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nWV8adkjfadkfHWDIAa3ad/export?format=xlsx&id=1nWV8adkjfadkfHWDIAa3ad
NOTE: id after equals sign matches id from Google for share sheet. (BTW this isn’t a real link just demonstration).

That’s it - now you can design in Power BI desktop and publish to Power BI service on web (if needed). Only downside is there’s no automatic refresh. Folks can edit / enter on Google Sheet but change won’t appear in Power BI Desktop until you click refresh and won’t appear in Power BI Service until you republish and overwrite.

I’ve been trying to set this up for ages, and then I finally found this answer and it works! So now I can set up an advanced search report for multiple projects, sync the report with Google Sheets, then build a flashy, management-pleasing Power BI report that refreshes at a click.

Perfect. :grinning:

5 Likes

Thank you @Jeff_Schneider! I’ve emailed my request for the google sheet export.

Thanks @Mark_Hudson, I’ll have a look at the article

2 Likes

I got access to the google sheet sync and so far I’m very happy!!

Thank you for the help :smiley:

You’re my hero @Mark_Hudson! Your instructions are flawless and my 10/10 frustration is now gone - thank you!

2 Likes

You’re very welcome, @Jeffrey_Warren. Enjoy!

1 Like

good to know. Submitted the request to enable the google sheet export.

1 Like

Hi @Jeff_Schneider,

Thanks for suggesting how to use output options. I’m very new to Asana and have little technical background so I’m having trouble getting this to work. When I tried it in terminal, the outputs for curl -H "Authorization: Bearer https://app.asana.com/api/1.0/projects/<project_id>/tasks?opt_pretty&opt_fields=(thissubtasks%2B),name,id,assignee,custom_fields is the same as curl -H "Authorization: Bearer https://app.asana.com/api/1.0/projects/<project_id>/tasks?opt_pretty

The first call works fine in browser so I think there must be some simple, fundamental thing that I’m missing. Can you please explain why I can’t seen the fields that I specified when I combined opt_pretty and opt_fields?

Thanks,
Olivia

Okay someone smarter than yours truly figured it out. I have to put the url in quotes for the parameters to be accepted. Back to learning :joy::upside_down_face::dizzy_face:

3 Likes

Hi All,

Asana team just released the Google Sheets export. this seems to be promising once i had a lot of trouble exporting via CSV due to odd broken lines as a result. Lets see how it works.

Regards,
Marcelo

2 Likes

Hi @Marcelo_Votre They are now removing the dashboard feature in December. Do you know if there is a workaround for how we can choose projects to export to Google Sheets?

1 Like

I have the same question as Olivia_Cheng. We are Premium members.

You’ll need to be upgraded from the Premium to the Business plan. Unfortunately it was explained to me that it’s the only way to keep the Google Sheet feature.

3 Likes

Wow, really. That’s a big price jump.

We have a cheaper alternative to get your data into a Google Sheet. You can find out more here: https://office.reddiapps.com/processes/asana/googlesheets.aspx. We export just about all data we can get our hands on: custom fields, tags, dependencies, collaborators, likes, …

We have some videos that will walk you through the setup process but please message me if you need further assistance.

1 Like