How can supervisor see employee task?

I have employees that are assigned tasks with start/end dates. I would like their supervisors to also see the task, but will be the one creating the tasks. What is the best way to set up a task so I ensure that the supervisor see the task as well as the employee?

2 Likes

It all depends on where the tasks are and the permissions. Are they in projects or not?

Yes, we have a project called “PM Tasks” Both myself, the supervisor and the employee are members of that project.

Ideally the task would show up in all three of our “My Tasks” window. That would allow me and the supervisor to monitor the task.

1 Like

This is not really how Asana works. My Tasks shows the tasks assigned to you. If you want to see someone else’s tasks you can search for them using the search field. In your case, I am guessing that task relates to a project, or a client or something that could be organized into an Asana project.

3 Likes

So is there no way in Asana to manage tasks as an admin to see everything that is assigned to each team member without searching for each person individually?

3 Likes

The idea is not really to have someone go over every single task but rather have autonomous teams and people follow the agreed plan and report back using milestones and progress status.
That being said the search with the right filters can give you tasks of many users.

2 Likes

Ok, but I think that makes a dangerous assumption - that people always do what they’re supposed to do. A person can easily check off a task as being complete, even if it’s not, and it might not be noticed until some time has passed. I suppose the email notification that the task was completed can serve as the checks and balances to the task being checked off. Does that email always go to the assignee, or can it go to other people?

Hi @Brian_Sams,

If all tasks are located in the same project (which you’re a member of), you can sort your project by assignee to see all tasks assigned for each assignee in this project. Alternatively, I recommend creating a reports, which you can share with supervisors so they don’t need to run this search every week.

If you haven’t yet, I’d recommend looking into Portfolio too as they allow you to get visibility on your team’s workload across multiple projects.

Hope this helps, but let us know if you have any follow-up questions!

Yes if you are a collaborator on the task.

I am working with the use of a custom field for “team.” When creating a task, select which team it applies to (e.g. the software team or marketing team). A team at your company probably consists of multiple people.

As long as people are reliably setting the custom field (or you could make an Asana rule) you can do a custom search and save a report for all tasks that have the custom field set to a certain team.

4 Likes

That’s another great workaround, thanks for sharing @anon68803854!

I’ve experienced this and we’re addressing it as an organization, and how everyone should handle tasks (procedures). It does take some change management, gentle reminders and nudges. Example - When I get a notice that a task has been completed and I’m waiting for the deliverable…if I can’t locate the deliverable, or a note or something about the deliverable I reach out. Usually this is when I remind them…don’t mark complete until the deliverable is ready.

Just my current/recent experience.

1 Like

I completely understand where you are coming from @Brian_Sams.
Hoping for a future in Asana more revolved around “Team tasks” and not just “My tasks”.
Teamwork makes the dream work.

We built this with Rules, but we still have a bit to go in terms of routines and operations to be all the way there. (Every single department/tac team has their own “Team tasks” where we automatically send all tasks through Rules.)

You must have quite a lot of rules :sweat_smile:

Indeed. :frowning:
They’re in all the standard templates, but we’re close to the limit on rules per project from this alone.
In my opinion, the often recommended search function is not up to pair for displaying a teams tasks and properly be able to plan and help your teammates out if you happen to be ahead on your work.

A collected view to see what one team is to perform in one day, week or year (when tasks are available), is not easily achieved with a complicated search function.