Optimizing Work in Asana: How to Manage Tasks via 'My Tasks' and Meet Manager's Requirements

Hello, could you advise on the best way to organize work in Asana? Our manager wants to see each employee’s weekly work plan (all tasks assigned to him per each day) and task status. He also wants weekly goals to be set, and at the end of each week, employees should report on what they have achieved.

Since tasks in employees’ “My Tasks” are not visible to him, we came up with the following solution: we created a project for each employee in Asana, accessible to everyone. Essentially, this serves as a public version of the “My Tasks” tab, where create or add from other projects or from my Tasks tab tasks for the week and also prepare a project report, like a weekly update.

This worked well at first when there were few projects and everyone planned their tasks in their personal projects. But now that we’ve reached a production level, the whole purpose of Asana—task assignment through projects—is being lost. We have to move tasks from “My Tasks” to the personal project just to satisfy the manager’s desire to see and control everything. Some tasks get forgotten in the process, and overall, this approach feels unnatural.

What are some solutions for working solely with tasks in the “My Tasks” tab while still meeting the manager’s need for visibility and control?

Hey there, whenever I set up Asana for any business, I create an SOP and establish a new “User DNA” that no task should ever be set up only in My Tasks, unless it’s a personal or private task. I usually create an Asana architecture with multiple projects (if the company is small) or teams. Each department/ initiative / project typically has its own project.

For a small company, we might have a Marketing project, and we ensure that users always “home” their tasks in the appropriate project. This way, tasks are always visible, and we can easily track what everyone is working on and how things are progressing. If tasks are hidden in My Tasks, we lose visibility.

We also typically have an Objectives and Key Results (OKR) project/portfolio, and we multi-home tasks that help achieve certain goals into those projects as well. I would make it part of the user’s behavior to always add tasks to a project and use the My Tasks view to organise and prioritize their daily work.

However, if you don’t want to do this, you can simply create a rule in My Tasks that automatically adds any new task to an additional project of your choice whenever it’s created in My Tasks.

1 Like

@Eugene_Korshakov - I personally find that multi-homing tasks solely for access control can get a bit cumbersome, so a couple other suggestions:

• Save a search (or searches) of tasks from everywhere in your organization. You can either sort by assignee (if using one large search) or by project (if using one search per team member). Saving the search creates a static link that can be shared between team members (simulating My Tasks, but without some functionality (e.g., ability to view as a board).
  • Use the universal workload reporting (only on on paid plans) to visualize all tasks assigned to each team member.

Note that for these to work, your tasks will need to be in projects that are shared with the appropriate stakeholders (people can only search/report on data that’s visible to their account). With project team sharing recently launched, the easiest way for this is to just make sure projects are shared with the correct teams.