How am I supposed to handle multiple teams working on one project?

I have an Advertising Operations team that consists of my Marketing Operations team members. They are mostly backoffice and reporting. I have a team that consists of my designers. I have a team made up of my sales people. I want to be able to assign the sales team to a task currently under the purview of my AdOps team. I only see the ability to completely remove my AdOps team and assign it only to my Sales team. What is Asana’s expected flow for something like this? Does everyone on my sales team need to learn how to fully move tasks between teams as we go back and forth working on it? When we’re ready for design, we have to fully remove all other teams, so my designers have to learn how to remove themselves and add AdOps or Sales back? Please help me understand how this workflow should be set up.

1 Like

Welcome, @Eric_Grubisich,

When you write that you assign a team to a task, how are you doing that? Tasks have an Assignee field which is blank or an email address, usually of a single person. Are you using an email alias for a team? If not, when you say “assign” maybe you mean you’re using a custom field, perhaps “Assigned Team?”

While sometimes a task assignee can be “toggled” effectively first to one person then another, more commonly multiple tasks, or multiple subtasks, would be used to make the tasks more specific and allow multiple ones to assigned and marked complete as needed, grouped under a parent task (as subtasks) or perhaps under a Section (as tasks), optionally with dependencies.

Often each workgroup team might have a project representing their work/workstream; tasks added to those projects could be seen as being “assigned” to the team. Tasks can be multi-homed (added to more than one project/workstream) and perhaps by indicating a phase it could be determined which team is currently responsible.

Hope that helps explain some approaches used in Asana.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

This is solved by creating more teams. I have an Asana team comprised of people from different departments such as Operations, Marketing, and QC. Be flexible with the concept of teams. It’s ok to have a new team created with a 1:1 ratio of team to project if necessary. @Eric_Grubisich

2 Likes

Hi @Eric_Grubisich

Essentially for cross collaboration you need two teams.
Then you create a board where you can multi home tasks to the other team.

I.E Sales request board so that a task for sales can land from the original project onto that board for sales to assign a member of staff

1 Like