Global keyboard shortcuts for New Task?

Tab-Q is nice, but it doesn’t work when you’re outside of your Asana window.

Until Asana supports its own global shortcut for adding tasks (like many other apps have), would people please list ways you’ve figured out how to do this?

Have you done it with LaunchBar, Zapier, IFTTT, Alfred, Zapier plus Slack, etc.?

I need to use Asana for GTD and want to have a very quick way to capture things that pop into my mind even when I’m not in a browser window.

Thanks in advance,
David

1 Like

Hi @anon77025728, thanks for reaching out! We currently offer a Chrome extension to quickly add tasks to Asana from any web page in Chrome. You can learn more about creating Asana tasks using the Chrome extension here!

1 Like

Yes, thanks Emily. I do use the Chrome extension (and there are a few third-party ones as well). When I’m in Chrome and have my hand on the mouse/trackpad, that’s what I use!

I should have mentioned: I’m on a Mac.

@anon77025728,

Did you know that in any browser address bar you can type:

task.new

to create a new Asana task?

Not sure if that’s exactly what you’re looking for, but perhaps it helps.

See also:

Larry

1 Like

Thanks, Larry! It’s not exactly what I’m looking for, but it’s cool and I may use it.

1 Like

I have the same request as David. The proposed solution of requiring an open browser slows down the workflow and is what I would consider a “workaround” solution.

I am coming from OmniFocus, and with the Mac app installed, there is a global shortcut (default of cmd-option-space and can be customized) that opens up a quick add menu to create a task. It makes quickly capturing thoughts so fast and easy you don’t lose flow. The chrome extension solution requires an internet connection, and an open browser window. I would love for this to work with the Asana Mac app.

3 Likes

I had hoped to transition our whole team to Asana, but without the quick add feature (like I currently have in ToDoist) I can’t see making the switch because it will be so slow. This doesn’t seem like a hard problem to solve, since everyone else has solved it. Is there a timeline?

2 Likes

Welcome, @anon19896358,

Asana rarely provides a timeline.

I set up a simple IFTTT (could do in Zapier, Integromat, etc.) with my Google Assistant so I can bark out new tasks to Google Home.

You can also email x@mail.asana.com.

And on Android and iOS you can add tasks without being in the Asana app.

And once you’re using Asana regularly, it’s usually already desirable to have a browser tab (or the app) close at hand anyway so I tend to use the app itself many times.

Hope that helps,

Larry

This topic was automatically closed after 21 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.