Filter to display/hide subtasks in a project

NEED: To be able to review a simple list of all tasks and subtasks assigned to me in a given project.

SUGGESTION: There should be a quick-filter under the Project > Filter menu that toggles the inclusion of subtasks in filter results.

CONTEXT:

It makes no sense to be ‘menu-diving’ through all tasks and sub-subtasks of a project to review items assigned to me.

Currently, the options available to review my subtasks are less than adequate:

• The Filter function in projects is great. But it only shows tasks. No subtasks.

• I could go to My Tasks, but of course subtasks in My Tasks, somewhat controversially, don’t reference the projects they are in.

• I can create a report that shows all tasks and subtasks assigned to me for a given project. So that works. But for every project I want to review, that means I have to: Refine search > In projects > (search for the project) > Click Search. Or the alternative would be to duplicate my project hierarchy with a bunch of saved reports. Both cumbersome options for what should be basic reporting/review functionality.

Of course, these problems can all be managed with some creative setup and a bit of extra manual admin. We covered some options on another thread in the Tips & Tricks category.

But it seems to me that a subtask quick-filter inside the project filters would be a complete solution to the problem and would meaningfully increase the utility of the nested subtasks functionality.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Allow to sort sub-tasks by complete/incomplete

A vote has been moved.

Hi @Antoine_Palmer and thank you so much for sharing this great feedback with us!

You are correct here. As it stands, is not possible to Filter your Subtasks within a Project. I completely understand how useful it would for you and while I can’t promise when or if this will be implemented any time soon, I’ll make sure to keep you posted on this thread as soon as I have an update!

Have a great Wednesday Antoine!

4 Likes

This would be great for our purposes. We have some custom fields we want for subtasks (tracking time estimates), but since subtasks don’t support custom fields unless they’re added to a project, we’re stuck with an awkward choice:
-either produce tons of noise by adding all subtasks to the project they’re in
-or track hours in the main task, which loses granularity, since subtasks might have different assignees than the parent task.

In a perfect Asana, subtasks could have custom fields w/o needing to add them to a project, and the parent task would automatically sum the numeric values of its subtasks. That’s not how Asana works, though, so being able to toggle subtask visibility seems like the next best option.

1 Like

HI Natalia,

Do we have any update on this?

I have just same issue, and would be very happy to find a solution :slight_smile:

Could not believe such a standard requirement might not possible into Asana.

Many thanks for your update. (in this context of Coronavirus spread, positive answers would be highly appreciated :slight_smile:

Regards,

Yann

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum @Yann_JOSEPH-ALEXANDR :wave:t5:

I’m afraid I don’t have any news to share regarding this topic at the moment but let’s see if we can find a workaround for your current workflow! Would you mind sharing what are you trying to achieve ?

Thank you @Yann_JOSEPH-ALEXANDR ! Looking forward to your reply!

+1 Our team can’t filter tasks assigned to them and include subtasks in the view, which seems very counterintuitive

2 Likes
  • 1 same here. Being able to filter to include sub-tasks would be very useful.
1 Like

I am pretty devastated that I cannot have a filtered view of subtasks. During my Scrum meetings I want to be able to filter by assignee and see all subtasks assigned to them. Is there anyway to achieve this in Asana?

Thanks!

Mohamed

2 Likes

Me also, can someone provide a view on whether a feature update has been scheduled on this point?

The inconvenience of making subtasks (and the even more hidden sub-subtasks) visible in the Timeline and List views is a real deal-breaker for people who used to use Miscrosoft Project and were hoping Asana might be a more modern online alternative.

Is there any update on this?

For our Marketing team, we find it convenient to create a card, for example: “Social Media Announcement” and then assign specific subtasks to various people such as “copy” to the copwriter, and “graphics” to the design team.

It would be great to be able to see subtasks as cards in Board view, and I think having that as a filter option would make sense. This way, I can have visibility over my team’s subtasks, as well as their tasks.

Perhaps in that view, a subtask card could appear visually different somehow, to help the user understand it’s not a Task card.

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 2.17.38 PM

You indeed walked into the “trap” of subtasks: they can’t easily be seen from the list view, that’s why they need to be used with caution. As a workaround you can use the Advanced search to only see subtasks from a specific project.

Hi @Kiel_West, thanks for providing this feedback!

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

Hi there

I am sure that this is a question that may have been asked multiple times but still can’t seem to find a fix. In list view (and timeline) I can only order/filter at card level not subtasks so when I want to see what tasks are outstanding for an individual on my team I can only do this by card - this is infuriating when there are different people working on the same slice of work just with slightly different tasks and different deadlines. Am I missing something here? This feels like a massively important feature, I am wasting heaps of time because of this.

If there isn’t a straight forward feature that allows you to do this, does anyone have some sort of hack they can share?

Hi,

In this case you should try to find the existing questions and add your voice there :slight_smile:

Subtasks don’t belong to their parent task project, that’s probably the reason why you can’t achieve what you are looking to achieve.

Hi @Megan_Lathwood, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

While this feature isn’t available at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

Feature Request:
Add a Toggle to show or hide subtasks in all of the My Tasks Views (Board, List, Calendar, etc).

Problem:
It makes sense to assign pretty much all tasks in Asana when working with a team; however, when a larger task is broken up into many assigned sub-tasks (as a task should be for many reasons), the assigned subtasks can clog up the different My Tasks views and actually make it harder to be productive since it’s difficult to get a sense of all the things you need to work on and how to organize them accordingly.

Context:
For work and personal Asana use, tasks nested with many subtasks are constantly assigned to me.

Current Workarounds:
Not assigning sub-tasks :frowning: This causes less transparency into the work my colleagues and I are doing, how long it’s taking, and how it compares to past projects.